Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewire/new build smoke detectors

Options
  • 11-01-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi guys

anybody here know the correct current building/electrical reg's governing smoke detectors in new and existing buildings??

I am currently rewiring a small 2 bed parlor house, and have wired for

1 smoke in hall
    1 smoke on landing
    1 smoke in main sitting room
    1 heat in kitchen

I have interlinked them all and they are all on their own circuit.

But i just want to know what is the current reg on them, for future reference and to be able to explain to customers.

I'm a member of Essca and they have given me vague information, and when i called Reci they also contradicted Essca but seemed more informed...

Any help would be appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

sounds about right to me anyway.
    grade D alarms and LD2 protection for domestic afaik
    http://www.eiltd.ie/specifiers_guide.php

3 metre max from bedroom door i think(or 85db at bedhead,door closed)would be important anyway.

some places it's considered good practice to have smoke alarms doubled up with lights at fuseboard,there's pros and cons both ways
    there's a few variables depending on whether occupants have impaired hearing ,mobility problems,smoke in bed etc. etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

There is a link on the RECI site to the smoke detector regs
    http://www.reci.ie/AdditionalSmokeAlarm/tabid/83/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dan_

Thanks lads for them links, i did come across the RECI link and the information in there is taken from the current building regulations, and when i called them to confirm they seemed to think i was not even an electrical reg but a building reg? that's why i was thinking its only for new builds,

i always put in at least 4 in total, but its nice to know what the law is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

for 2 storey domestic i usually fit all downstairs rooms with alarms .living rooms ,utility etc.
    keep in mind you might want a mix of ionization and optical

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Don't Forget emergency light in bathroom.

• Advertisement

meercat wrote: »
    Don't Forget emergency light in bathroom.

cant say i'v ever heard of that in a domestic house?

New regs from last sept. Rcd bathroom lights with backup emergency light if rcd trips. Lots of new regs introduced. Had to do course on them. Too long to list. Maybe someone has link.

New regs from last sept. Rcd bathroom lights with backup emergency light if rcd trips. Lots of new regs introduced. Had to do course on them. Too long to list. Maybe someone has link.
    Well thanks for that! My book is old at this stage, and you would think ecssa would inform me of new changes..i'll have a look around and see if i can find a link

No problem. Reci done a course on the updated regs. Not too dear and will save money in the long run if you get everything right 1st fix. I'm sure ecssa will probably do same.

No problem. Reci done a course on the updated regs. Not too dear and will save money in the long run if you get everything right 1st fix. I'm sure ecssa will probably do same.

Can i ask what the course involved? was it just new ETCI publications or did it cover installation testing as well?

• Advertisement

It was just for the updated regs. It covered all the major changes domestic and industrial. Took 4 hrs. I have already done their testing and certification course. Again well worth it. Probably have a video of certification somewhere. It was years ago. See can I dig it up and DVDr it and send it to you.

It was just for the updated regs. It covered all the major changes domestic and industrial. Took 4 hrs. I have already done their testing and certification course. Again well worth it. Probably have a video of certification somewhere. It was years ago. See can I dig it up and DVDr it and send it to you.

sounds well worth doing, i like to do it but you probably have to be a member, ecssa do one that seems to be just for testing, going to do it anyway.

If you can dig it out please do ..i'd love to take a look.

Advertisement