Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about studying abroad...

Options
  • 10-01-2010 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Hey all, at the moment im seriously considering studying abroad. Im currently doing a level 5 course in music management and sound but that finishes up in the summer so im trying to decide my next step now. I should mention i have an ok leaving cert. Its not great but not bad either 375 points with an A2 in english and C1's and C'2s in everything else all at honors level. Im also not sure what i want to study yet but im looking into english/creative writing. Sociology, Media, and anthropology.

I want to study abroad for several reasons, for one thing il have to pay fees in Ireland as I have 2 years in a university down before i dropped out. I also didnt do a third language for my leaving cert so everywhere bar DCU and UL are out for me here. I think il have more options abroad and it will be great to experience a new culture also.

At the moment, im thinking of staying in europe as America/Canada are far too expensive. I was thinking of England/Scotland/wales/Germany/austria. I dont speak german, but i have been making a stab at it the last month and have picked up a basic vocabulary on my own, and i believe there are some courses that are done in english (a friend of mine is over in wiener neustadt doing marketing at the moment for example in english).

Where would you guys recommend, can you give me any do's and dont's of studying abroad and how would i go about making my applications? I know that GB has ucas but how is it for the rest of europe.

Thanks a lot guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Scotland; no fees.

Netherlands; courses in English. Everyone speaks English. Fees comparable to the Irish registration fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Scotland; no fees.

Netherlands; courses in English. Everyone speaks English. Fees comparable to the Irish registration fees.
    No fees? Even for foreign students? Seems almost too good to be true!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

If you're a Scottish student or an EU student (except UK) then you pay no tuition fees (unless you studied in Scotland previously)

Ok a bit more help here, does anyone know how i could do a search for courses that are thought in english abroad in germany/netherlands/austria?

Or for that matter just to find a course directory(somthing similar to qualifax) in these countries if it exists and i could search myself. Im having no luck :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

This Qualifax page should be useful

:)

• Advertisement

unreggd wrote: »
    This Qualifax page should be useful

:)
    Dude you are a GOD!

Seriously, pretty much exactly what i was looking for :).

Advertisement