Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terror in the Lecture halls

Options
  • 10-01-2010 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

UCD has witnessed an upsurge of co-ordinated incidents of bullying on campus over the last number of years. The intimate surroundings of the Engineering Building, were transformed as new phenomenon arrived – the menace of “Mobbing”.

Referring to a recent case, a small group of students bore the desire to become the worst people in the world. They vowed to make other students live through a nightmare of isolation, bulling and intimidation.Victimised students looking for help approach members of staff and are often met with blank stares and long silences. It can occur with the endorsement of university staff who in this particular case added their weight behind the attackers. Having nowhere to turn but inward, stress, physical illness and suicidal tendencies often appear.

There is no let up from the level of intimidation as the phenomenon has a snowball effect. The victims friends and relatives are threatened to join in or face similar punishment. The motive was thought to be petty, jealousy or personal insecurities, however it became apparent the it was the callous desire of being in a position to completely destroy a persons life.

The UCD policy document on Dignity an Respect is openly flouted by staff who refuse to be held accountable to students without resorting to the courts service. In this scenario, how can life for the victim be improved?

Further information is available on the Wikipedia article entitled “Mobbing”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

is this a joke?

ucd students striking terror? really?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

And I had just thought the Engineers I see the labs had calmed down compared to what we were like!

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

I call BS on this one.When did this supposedly happen?If it's such a major problem why hasn't the college emailed people about it?There's no names or dates,just a very vague account from a new poster.

Unless of course,you've been subject to this bullying yourself.If so,who have you brought this to?I highly doubt all members of staff would respond with 'blank stares and long silences'.Your student advisor for example?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

Its someone messing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

I haven't heard of this.
    The only mobbing I know about was the snow mob, which also had a snowballing effect.

ZING!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I see a buisness opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

I call shenanigans on this whole thing.S Bit strange for a first post don't you think? If you ARE being serious PM me and I'll forward on the detail of people who can help.Student advisors,the welfare officer, admin staff etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

33% God wrote: »
    I haven't heard of this.
    The only mobbing I know about was the snow mob, which also had a snowballing effect.

ZING!

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

First post?

I call shenanigans.

Tell us more about these incidents OP.

When did it start/happen?
    What staff received you with a blank stare?
    How did they get to your relatives?
    Give us an example of an incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭TheJeanGenie

If there was something this cruel going on surely you'd inform someone who could act on it. Unless you're just practicising your creative writing...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Shock horror, people acting like animals... :eek: Now that's something we've never seen before! And especially not in UCD. :rolleyes:

If you're not ripping the p*** then contact somebody who can help - student advisors, SU, chaplaincy, etc. rather than drawing attention to it here and feeding the mob by giving them the attention they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

UCD has witnessed an upsurge of co-ordinated incidents of bullying on campus over the last number of years. The intimate surroundings of the Engineering Building, were transformed as new phenomenon arrived – the menace of “Mobbing”[/SIZE]

Why around engineering? It could easily occur anywhere on campus, or are you suggesting something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

The only thing that gets mobbed in the engineering building is the microwave at lunch time. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement