Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of contacts should I get?

Options
  • 10-01-2010 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I've recently left my only pair of glasses in a foreign country, and decided I wanted to make a change: contact lenses. They just seem so much easier than the bulky glasses alternative.

There are two main opticians here in Galway: Specsavers and Vision Express, and after being on their websites I'm not quite sure what kind to go for or where to go even. I'm currently a customer of Specsavers, but my last encounter with them wasn't very nice and I found them quite rude to me, I could easily switch to Vision Express.

For a 16 year old guy, who doesn't go swimming or anything to do with water (if that matters? :confused: ) and who would like to be able to see things more than a metre away without squinting, what would you recommend?

I'll probably sort out an appointment for Wednesday, any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Go to your optician and see what they say. Some types of lens are not suitable for some eye conditions. For instance, I can't wear soft lenses or daily disposables as I have double vision as well as short sight, but gas permeable hard lenses are great for me.

As a general rule, hard lenses are cheaper and more durable, and easier to take care off. Soft lenses are more comfortable, but much more fiddly. Disposable lenses are very low maintenance, but cost more.

If you drop a hard lens, you should be able to find it with the aid of a strong light, soft lenses will be harder to find and unless you find it immediately, they are useless.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Go to your usual optician.
    Personally I found specsavers not too good for contact lenses but didn't realise this until I went to an optician that was excellent for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Recently,(November), got contacts.. A few pointers, they are a pain in the ass for the first few weeks, putting them in can be frustrating as your eyes WILL try and reject them. Be patient, and never ever fall asleep with them in.. The opticians will recommend the best lenses for you, most people can wear the daily disposable but never leave them in longer than about 7 or 8 hours...

Hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Hi OP

First off can I recommend going to a just a normal optician instead of the chains, you should find one relatively easy especially if you're living in/near the city centre in Galway. I always find the personal attention much better, tried Specsavers once and will never go back.

It's a good job that you're not into water sports because it hurts like hell if you even shower with them in. You should book an appointment with an optician and tell them you want to get contact lenses. They'll probably do their own eye test etc and see if you can get contact lens. Some places won't let people get them if they think their eyes are still developing so beware of this. Once you know your prescription you can buy them online at hugely discounted prices. I always get mine from yourlenses.ie. Personally this is the route I would take. Hope this helps!

Advertisement