Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiotherapy or Teaching?

Options
  • 10-01-2010 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

I'm a mature student doing science, will be 28 when I finish. I reckon I will either do the HDIP to become a secondary school teacher or maybe to the accelerated graduate program to become a physio.

Which of these careers pays better? I think they both start out roughly the same but I would assume in the long run physio pays better?

I realise after becoming a physio you need to do 3 years in a hospital to be registered and the percentage of unemployed physio's in ireland is very high right now but there is always the possibility of being self employed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭eagle_&_bear

for what its worth I'd say there's pros and cons for both sets of professions nowadays. Job guarantee is kind of gone out the window for teachers so I think you should look at which one you prefer?

seems basic i know but where does your hear lie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

O.P.H wrote: »

I realise after becoming a physio you need to do 3 years in a hospital to be registered and the percentage of unemployed physio's in ireland is very high right now but there is always the possibility of being self employed.

This isn't actuallly true, once you do a recognised course you can register with the ISCP straight away and work either within the HSE or privately. Very few physios anymore will have 3 years hospital experience after qualifying.

I'm a physio and I actually thought about doing teaching when I qualified due to the lack of jobs (4 years ago, it's worse now). I decided to stick with it as I love it (and I got a job). What I would say is that physio isn't something you can just do on a whim, you really have to have an interest in it. Even at that about half of my class who really wanted to do it, didn't like it.

In term of money you won't make a fortune working for the HSE by any means but the money in private practice is very good and if you have a team on the side you can really make terrific money. It depends what you want to put into it really.

I'm not as clear on the the pros and cons of teaching apart from the great hours. I'd echo what was said before though and do what you think you'd like!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

The 'great hours' in teaching are contact hours. There are many, many more hours involved in teaching than just being with students.
    It takes years to find a full-time permanent job as a teacher, in any subject, unless you have a particular arrangement with a school principal. In those years, you might be teaching 12 hours a week, and working 60. Once you get a full permanent job, I imagine you can take things a bit easier, if you don't mind being bad at your job. But the years to get there are a tough slog, and very poorly paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 tadru

YOU SHOULD CONSIDER JOB OPPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

chocgirl wrote: »
    This isn't actuallly true, once you do a recognised course you can register with the ISCP straight away and work either within the HSE or privately. Very few physios anymore will have 3 years hospital experience after qualifying.

I'm a physio and I actually thought about doing teaching when I qualified due to the lack of jobs (4 years ago, it's worse now). I decided to stick with it as I love it (and I got a job). What I would say is that physio isn't something you can just do on a whim, you really have to have an interest in it. Even at that about half of my class who really wanted to do it, didn't like it.

In term of money you won't make a fortune working for the HSE by any means but the money in private practice is very good and if you have a team on the side you can really make terrific money. It depends what you want to put into it really.

I'm not as clear on the the pros and cons of teaching apart from the great hours. I'd echo what was said before though and do what you think you'd like!:)

Thanks for advice.

As it stands I am thinking of applying to Edinburgh to do the 2 year accelerated program but after this how likely is it that I could get into private practice, would I need years more experience, I figure getting into private practice would end up being like any other business venture etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

O.P.H wrote: »
    Thanks for advice.

As it stands I am thinking of applying to Edinburgh to do the 2 year accelerated program but after this how likely is it that I could get into private practice, would I need years more experience, I figure getting into private practice would end up being like any other business venture etc

If I was you I would consider doing a 3 year degree course instead of the masters. I am not familiar with the masters course myself but the general thinking across the profession seems to be that the masters graduates tend to be a little bit rough and ready around the edges. Like I said I don't know if this is true I have never worked with anyone who completed the masters personally but I've heard it said time and time again. It could just be snobbery I suppose.

You'd have pretty much no chance of getting into a "good" private practice with no experience. You could of course open your own or work privately in a different manner but it is best to try to get some public experience under your belt, be it NHS or HSE.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭LordDorington

Sorry for bumping, am waiting for everyone to jump down my throat. Cant seem to post new thread, that function has mysteriously disappeared...

Anyway, wanting to do veterinary physiotherapy.

One school of thought is that you have to do human physio first and become chartered

Another (well one particular college in the UK) says thats rubbish, that it is simply a snobbery thing and since there is no legislative body ehre, legally, just doing the animal physio course is technically acceptable.

Anyway, I'm not one to shy from hard work so if needs be I will go the long route. I have a degree in Chemistry and experience working with animals so hoping these may help.

Does anyone know what the best route from A to B is in this situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

Sorry for bumping, am waiting for everyone to jump down my throat. Cant seem to post new thread, that function has mysteriously disappeared...

Anyway, wanting to do veterinary physiotherapy.

One school of thought is that you have to do human physio first and become chartered

Another (well one particular college in the UK) says thats rubbish, that it is simply a snobbery thing and since there is no legislative body ehre, legally, just doing the animal physio course is technically acceptable.

Anyway, I'm not one to shy from hard work so if needs be I will go the long route. I have a degree in Chemistry and experience working with animals so hoping these may help.

Does anyone know what the best route from A to B is in this situation?

Hi there,

I was a work rider and am now studying physiotherapy with a view to doing equine after.
    I am studying human physio in ucd and want to do the acpat part time qualification after.

I was advised to go the long route simply because of insurance issues and legislation becoming more concerned with safety.
    Also to be honest now that im 2 years into physio I dont now how you could be the same standard from doing Neuromuskular therapy, just based on the length of time you study.

Advertisement