Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rectifying my nighmare build

Options
  • 10-01-2010 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

We had a disaster of a build 3 years back when we added on 1,600 sq feet at one end of the original house and I'm sick of having to attend to all the ongoing fcuk ups that keep arising in the extension so I'm thinking about getting someone in (a builder this time as opposed to a cowboy) to do a complete remodel on the interior as the plumbing is a disaster and leaks like a sieve, the electrics are dodgy and the cracks in the floor slab (cracked tiles to prove it) and the walls/ceilings need attending to. This will entail a lot of disruption as the kitchen will have to be removed (it cost €25k at the time) and so we will be without cooking facilities for a while.

While I'm at it, I want to do a proper job on the interior because after living in it for 3 years, our architect's "vision" (he arrogantly dismissed my opinions on light and space at the time :mad:) has resulted in dark, oppressive rooms which are too large or too small for their use e.g., sitting room thats 26ft long and never heats up and a kitchen for a family of 7 with no room for a table and chairs - I hate being right all the time ;):D.

So I plan to do the following:
    - knock down 3 internal block walls
    - rebuild 2 new walls (in partition as they wouldn't be load bearing so no need for new foundations for block walls)
    - redo the plumbing for the house to fix the leaking pipework under the concrete slab and to sort out the spagetti of pipework that he left in the utility that results in heat transference between hot and cold pipes through contact.
    - new larger windows in one room that currently needs artifical light 24/7 as its so dark
    - move kitchen to another location to allow kitchen/dining to be in the one room
    - bigger utility room
    - perhaps move front door and build a porch to keep cold out/heat in

With the exception of the new front door, I wouldn't need planning permission for the rest so I'm not fixed on moving the front door yet (even though it would result in a nice new corner in the new kitchen for a table and chairs with a lovely view of the front garden while eating). All of the other changes would be internal.

Any ideas of how much this might cost? We were well and truly fleeced when we built during the height of the boom and we paid about €160 per sq foot (not incl. tiling, decorating, flooring or even waste removal) for some very shoddy work, with another €7,500 (for drawing up the plans and submitting them for planning permission) wasted on a worse than useless RIAI registered architect. I'd like to get another architect in who might do a better job but as I've been badly bitten by engaging an eejit before, I don't want to waste money on some guy who won't listen to my ideas and who wants to produce his vision of what he wants as opposed to what I want.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Dave i think it would be very hard to gauge a price for that.
    I'm fairly familiar with your horror stories and can only say to you that your previous experiences will stand you well in your quest for a good builder, as you won't suffer fools in the slightest this time.
    Small comfort I know, but the best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

About 30 / 45 K to rectify

Advertisement