Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help and have no idea where to start

Options
  • 10-01-2010 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

I got a 3 year degree in quantity surveying a few years ago from W.I.T

Now Ive been unemployed for a year and a half and im thinking about going back to college to study something new.

Im 23 years old.

I have absolutely no idea where to start.

I want a new job entirely, construction is dead in this country.

I was looking through various courses online and the only ones I could find that interested me require very high points, like political science or medicine. (I only got 330 points in my leaving cert and my degree was a pass.)

Is it possible for someone like me to get into these courses, and would I only be able to do so as a mature student? Or could I apply for a postgraduate degree in an unrelated field to my own?

I dont really know whats best for me, is there anyone in the same position who can advise me please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

*Generally,you are considered to be a mature student if you are at least 23 years of age on January 1 of the year you enter your course. If you are interested in a particular college you should check how it defines a mature student.

by applying as a mature student, the college takes your application and may invite you for an interview or to sit an exam to assess your abilities for the course.

if they find you "worthy" then they will offer you a place.

alternativly, apply through the cao and pray the points drop a LOT and not too many apply.

honestly, it wont hurt to apply as a mature student. the general dead line for applicants is beginning of feburary, but some colleges accept them as late as may.
    but as with any college course, make sure you apply for a few that your interested in, so if you dont get your first choice, there's always your other choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You can apply as a post graduate but you need a 2:1 grade (for medicine at least).

Going as a mature student is a better option for you but it requires a bit of work. As Medicine and political science are quite different courses you should do some more research into the subjects and go to open days or mature student evenings (Trinity have one this Thursday I think) that the colleges hold and see which one you are more swayed about.

You'll need work experience and maybe even have to do a part-time/night course in the area.

You can of course apply this year but applying as a mature student requires a lot of preparation work. Have a look here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676871 for tips applying as a mature student.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

OP if you're going to appy as a mature student for medicine this year, you need to appy to sit the HPAT and have your CAO completed asap. The HPAT closing date is in the next week or so, but you can't apply without a CAO number. Medicine at least (I'm not sure about Political science) is a restricted application course so you must have applied by Feb 1st for a place, they don't allow late applications. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 golucky

Jessibelle wrote: »
    OP if you're going to appy as a mature student for medicine this year, you need to appy to sit the HPAT and have your CAO completed asap. The HPAT closing date is in the next week or so, but you can't apply without a CAO number. Medicine at least (I'm not sure about Political science) is a restricted application course so you must have applied by Feb 1st for a place, they don't allow late applications. Good luck :)

Thanks, the thing is though Im not sure if Id have much chance getting in as a mature student since there are so few places. Does anyone know how likely it would be for a mature student like me to get a place?

If you work hard enough it is possible! I went from an Art background to a health Science course. I didn't get in first time around but got in this year. There was a huge difference though in my application the 2nd time round.

If you don't have the required grades in your degree then Mature Student Application is your only option.

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »
    If you work hard enough it is possible! I went from an Art background to a health Science course. I didn't get in first time around but got in this year. There was a huge difference though in my application the 2nd time round.

If you don't have the required grades in your degree then Mature Student Application is your only option.

Larianne thanks for that other thread you wrote on applying as a mature student it's really great.

I wish I had thought about this a few weeks earlier I'm really cutting it close for time.
    I'll do some more research tonight and think about it.

One think that might hold me back is I have no work experience, so it might be tough for me to get in this year with all the competition.

Thanks, I'll probably have more questions!

Ok so for Medicine as a mature student I need:

UCC: Candidates must have
    knowledge of Chemistry and either Physics and Biology (minimum Grade HC3 in
    Leaving Certificate or equivalent).

I dont have chemistry.

UCD: A lot of relevant work experience and "professional development"

RCSI: Not sure if they take mature students?

Its not looking good too far, any mature student with relevant work experience will surely get in ahead of me.

Should I look into repeating the leaving first...ugh that sounds horrible.

Maybe im kidding myself thinking i can get into medicine, :( I dont know what to do here.

I'll call some of the colleges in the morning maybe, see what they say.

Where are you based?

Realistically, going by the entry requirements you probably won't get a place this year. But if you work hard enough you will get a place next year.

You should still contact the colleges and see what they say about your experience so far and whether you would be considered and if not what way should you go about to make your application stronger.

RCSI only do graduate entry, no mature student entry. Have you also looked at doing Medicine at TCD. There is quite a number of Mature students there, from what I see.

You could repeat the Leaving Cert or do something like an access to Science course run in UCD It's a part time course. I did this to help me bring my knowledge of Science to university entry level. You study Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Study Skills. There's a similar one in Galway if you're near that part of the country.

Taking this year to improve your application means you can up your Science knowledge while still working to save for fees for next year and also gives you plenty of time to get a lot of work experience and voluntary work under your belt.

Look into whether you want to sit the HPAT this year as it might be good experience for/if you need to sit it next year.

You're 23 so you've plenty of time yet! You're a more younger mature student. :)

golucky wrote: »
    Maybe im kidding myself thinking i can get into medicine, :( I dont know what to do here.

Get all that negative thoughts out of your head!! If I can do it, you can do it.

You just need the information. Start contacting colleges and going to open days.

Email admissions, mature student officers, heads of departments and politely annoy them.

At the start it's scary but it gets easier as you go along.

Larianne wrote: »
    Get all that negative thoughts out of your head!! If I can do it, you can do it.

You just need the information. Start contacting colleges and going to open days.

Email admissions, mature student officers, heads of departments and politely annoy them.

At the start it's scary but it gets easier as you go along.

Thanks I'll do that. Im based in Meath, between navan and kells.

• Advertisement
Advertisement