Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstalling Windows Vista and keeping files?

Options
  • 09-01-2010 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I've had my laptop for about a year now and it recently started to get a bit slow. Think a fresh installtion of windows would be the best idea. But i've alot of files I want to keep and dont have storage large enough at the momennt to make backups. So whilst i'm reinstalling windows is there a way that i can select certain files and software to keep?
    Thanks!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

daniel91 wrote: »
    So whilst i'm reinstalling windows is there a way that i can select certain files and software to keep?

umm, no. You could do a windows repair. Having not done one myself with Vista, I cannot vouch for it's effectiveness or how many files it will keep, and how much software will still work afterwards.

If there's nothing wrong with Windows, i.e. everything works and it's just slow, then maybe it just needs a little tlc, clean out temp files, sort through unwanted applications and remove them, get rid of start up items and apps that run in the background!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

http://ninite.com is great after reinstalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Just be sure to have your graphics & network drivers somewhere handy first! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

transfer file and settings wizard.

Advertisement