Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend software for creating images for websites

Options
  • 09-01-2010 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to learn one of the image creation and manipulation software such as Photoshop, Gimp, Paint Shop Pro or Paint.Net, firstly for a couple of my own websites. I'm also doing some content work for a few sites, so I thought if I could get handy at one of these, I might make an extra few bob creating images too. Basically I plan on getting decent use out of whatever one I choose.

I do realise it might take a little while to get proficient in one of them. The thing is I've been playing around with Gimp for the past couple of days and tbh I can't say I like it. Maybe I haven't given it a chance but I'm under the impression it's been written by geeks for geeks, whereas I'm only a semi-geek ;) Anyway I don't want to waste more time on it if there's something else that would suit me better. I know Photoshop is costly but is it worth getting instead of Gimp? Or perhaps one of the alternatives is a better option?

I'd imagine this sort of question has been asked before but I can't find anything that quite matches it. Sorry if it has.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

You can get something for gimp to make the UI more like photoshop, but nothing comes close to photoshop yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    You can get something for gimp to make the UI more like photoshop, but nothing comes close to photoshop yet.

Cheers Pixelcraft. Yeah I saw that program Gimpshop, I tried to download it earlier but rapidshare said it was too busy for Free User at the time :(.

At the moment I'm downloading the trial version of Photoshop - I've been reading that's quite complicated to get used to as well, but I did use an earlier version of PS a good few years ago and think I found it intuitive enough, though I imagine it's got much more complicated now.

Anyway I'm hoping it won't be too painful to get going in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I sometimes turn to PhotoFiltre Free (see reviews).
    It is a simpler app but still with a lot of power.

daymobrew wrote: »
    I sometimes turn to PhotoFiltre Free (see reviews).
    It is a simpler app but still with a lot of power.

Cheers daymobrew. I've only got a quick impression of it but tbh I think at first impressions at least it seems to be just that bit too basic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Not sure how good the Photoshop Elements package might be (it's a cut-down version of Photoshop, but how cut down I'm not sure).

You can get a trial to try it out, though - it'd help you decide.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

I'd actually recommend Fireworks. It's a lot easier for people who haven't experience doign web stuff to get to grips with. Photoshop is great, but it can do so much it can be a bit overwhelming, whereas Fireworks ia built from the ground up for web design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Gimp or Photoshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

p wrote: »
    I'd actually recommend Fireworks. It's a lot easier for people who haven't experience doign web stuff to get to grips with. Photoshop is great, but it can do so much it can be a bit overwhelming, whereas Fireworks ia built from the ground up for web design.

Forgot about checking out Fireworks. I'd imagine that would be a good option alright. Hmmm debating now whether to look at that or not as well.
    Naikon wrote: »
    Gimp or Photoshop.

Well I've been using the trial version of Photoshop since I started this thread. Not saying it's easy, there's a helluva lot to it but I have to say I've found it a lot more intuitive than Gimp. There's loads of stuff out there of Photoshop vs Gimp, from my albeit limited experience of the two and viewing it from someone who's used to the Windows Environment as opposed to Linux I find Photoshop easier to use.

I reckon for 'geeks' (I mean in nicest possible meaning of word ;) ), Linux heads or those that have the time to spend learning a great piece of free software like Gimp then it might be a great idea to use Gimp.

Learning something powerful like this in a relatively quick period of time is a priority for me though however.
    cormee wrote: »
    looks interesting. Though I don't have time to check yet another photo editor tool properly :).

Advertisement