Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's all this about needing a VAT number for taxing a van?

Options
  • 09-01-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,446 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone got a definitive answer on this and what vehicles are affected?

Looking to tax a jeep this week and haven't a VAT number.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Dont know about vans,i have a commerical jeep as well and only get asked for doe cert.They will not tax it with out valid doe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Nobody is going to refuse to allow you to pay road tax on a commercial vehicle just because you dont have a vat number. You dont need a vat number although some insurance companies may insist that you have one before you get commercial insurance, therefore affecting the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have never had a problem taxing my LC commercial, ever.
    Only thing I was asked for was the DOE and associated 13 quid to convert the DOE to the councils own form.
    I think it is very dependent on which county you are in,

• Registered Users Posts: 73,446 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

i imported a pajero 7 years ago and when i was paying the vrt i was asked for my rsi number and vat number.

they probaly check to see if you have any outstanding tax liabilities.
    you will have to take your pajero to an authorised weighbridge to get it weighed before you get the form to tax it.
    when taxing my commercial pajero all they look for is the 288euro and the doe cert and the 13 euro for doe cert renewal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I believe it is only with crew cabs that the issue of VAT numbers is being brought up and even then it is only in some tax offices.

were the crewcabs vrt reduced to 50euros to allow business users to buy them? but the reduction was being abused by people using them for domestic use and the vrt was increased again.

some double cab crewcabs qualify for €50 VRT now due to revised rear suspension design.

Isuzu Dmax being one.

Very harsh ride in the back of them because of that extra spring leaf and heavy duty Koni shocks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

This is another example of overpaid, under qualified Civil Servants not knowing their own business.

A company is not required to register for VAT (and therefore have a VAT number).

From the Revenue Website:

"What is the turnover threshold for VAT registration?

The principal thresholds applicable are as follows:
    • (a) €37,500 in the case of persons supplying services,
    • (b) €37,500 for persons supplying goods liable at the 13.5% or 21.5% rates which they have manufactured or produced from zero rated materials,
    • (c) €37,500 for persons making mail-order or distance sales into the State,
    • (d) €41,000 for persons making intra-Community acquisitions,
    • (e) €75,000 for persons supplying goods,
    • (f) €75,000 for persons supplying both goods and services where 90% or more of the turnover is derived from supplies of goods (other than of the kind referred to at (b) above) and
    • (g) A non-established person supplying taxable goods or services in the State is obliged to register and account for VAT irrespective of the level of turnover.
    A taxable person established in the State is not required to register for VAT if his or her turnover does not reach the appropriate threshold above. However, they may opt to register for VAT."

Therefore, one may have a company, and not a VAT number.

If the silly civil servant still refuses you, bring a copy of your Company Registration Documents with you, or just give him/her your company number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

What a wide brush you paint with. Dozy to much time on your hand private sector bla.

trabpc wrote: »
    What a wide brush you paint with. Dozy to much time on your hand private sector bla.

Oh hi there, care to translate that for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Anyone got a definitive answer on this and what vehicles are affected?

Looking to tax a jeep this week and haven't a VAT number.

Are you by any chance talking about form RF111A? I've just come across it where I am road taxing a commercial vehicle for the first time after a change of ownership. Never came across it before but it asks if your business is registered for tax purposes with the Rev. Comms. and asks for your revenue registration number.

it'll be registered for the 1st time, coming from the UK.

I wonder if you can just tick "no" and still tax it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

On second thoughts maybe its not RF111a. It only applies to vehicles not exceeding 1524kg.

ah, mine is half a tonne over that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BillMac

it'll be registered for the 1st time, coming from the UK.

I wonder if you can just tick "no" and still tax it?

If coming from outside the state and not registered here before, you will have to bring it to the revenue and pay the vrt, before you do anything, in fact you are supposed to do this within twenty four hours of importation.

I know this. my question is on tax and whether you now need a VAT number to get commercial tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

what happens if your a farmer and use a commercial jeep..

I dont think farmers are registered for vat and almost all farmers jeeps would be commercial.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Sorry if I offended you.

However anyone in the Motor Office who says that you require a VAT number to have a company vehicle is incompetent, does not know their own rules, and should be sacked immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

Agree totally they should know their job. But lets not call them all useless. im sure there are a few in the private sector who make mistakes as well.

Agree totally they should know their job. But lets not call them all useless. im sure there are a few in the private sector who make mistakes as well.

if they make mistakes in the private sector they lose money whereas when civil servants make mistakes taxpayers lose money.

Right guys and galls, can we leave the politics at the door please.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Taxed a ducato commercial 2 monts ago.
    Don't have vat number not asked for.

I asked about crewcab tax and you needing to be an employer with at least 3 employees and was told not true.
    Any van can be converted to crewcab and taxed as crewcab by anyone but the tax guys must inspect it.
    They say if you carry the kids in the back they don't care but the guards might.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭broro22

i had to sign a declaration witnessed by a guard to tax my L200 single cab had say what my line of work was. i think it was to do with people using crewcabs as family cars and taxing commercially.also remember reading something in the tax office about needing a c2 or taxclearence cert to tax a crewcab commercially every company should have tax clearence where they wouldn't all have a vat number but it only applied to crewcabs.

the crewcab declaration has been around for a good few years alright. I signed enough of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the crewcab declaration has been around for a good few years alright. I signed enough of them :)

What counties do you not need ppsn numbers of employees for , i cant find any info for dublin, kildare or wicklow , I dont have employees, only lads who invoice me as were all sole traders

Advertisement