Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infection

Options
  • 09-01-2010 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭

First off if theres already a thread out there I could not find it and tried to search but didn't find anything so if this shouldn't be here mods feel free to lock.
    But I pierced my own ear (stupid idea I know) but anyways I can't tell whether its infected or not. There was a big lump at the back which I burst by accident and a mix of puss and blood came out and its kind of gone.
    Does this mean its infected or will it heal over time?
    I searched google but not really a proper answer for exactly this
    Thanks in advance,
    Mary.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Puss would indicate there is a localised infection in the site. Whether it will heal or not depends on lots of variables. If I were you I'd head to a doctor and get your bloods checked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Will wrote: »
    Puss would indicate there is a localised infection in the site. Whether it will heal or not depends on lots of variables. If I were you I'd head to a doctor and get your bloods checked
    Bloods checked? Serious? Sounds bad I was playing rugby the other week and got a bang to the ear I was thinking maybe that could have caused it ? Would it really be a good idea to go to a doctor? I'm a little worried but I don't fancy taking a trip to the doctor if it turns out it was gunna be fine.

Well you pierced your own ear, i doubt you are professional piercer following proper cross contamination technique and aware of blood borne pathogens. Also presume you don't have an ulrtasonic cleaner or anything else to properly clean the jewelry before putting it in a fresh wound.

If it were me I'd head to a doc but that's just me. It's about €25 to get your ear pierced. Trip to GP is €60 where I live :-/

Probably fine but tbh without seeing it I can't know.
    Is there any discolouration? numbness?

Well you pierced your own ear, i doubt you are professional piercer following proper cross contamination technique and aware of blood borne pathogens. Also presume you don't have an ulrtasonic cleaner or anything else to properly clean the jewelry before putting it in a fresh wound.

If it were me I'd head to a doc but that's just me. It's about €25 to get your ear pierced. Trip to GP is €60 where I live :-/

Probably fine but tbh without seeing it I can't know.
    Is there any discolouration? numbness?
    Yeah I know I'm an idiot it was a spur of the moment and seriously regret it but I saw on google somewhere it would be bad to let it heel if its infected.
    Really appreciate the advice and that,
    Nah theres no discolouration or numbness that I know of I might make an appointment anyways better safe than sorry,
    Thanks for the help

Then it is more than likely ok. It's better to get the infection out of the way then let it close up. If you remove it and it's still icky will just seal in the gunk which is shoite

• Advertisement

Haha yeah I'm gunna leave it a month or so depending on whats going on with it and if its heeled take it out and if its not go to a doctor
    Cheers for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

What kind of aftercare (if any) are you doing to heal the piercing?

What kind of aftercare (if any) are you doing to heal the piercing?
    I used a bottle of stuff that some piercers give you after you get a piercing for a while but it ran out a few weeks back because it was already half used.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭pajodublin

M&S* wrote: »
    I used a bottle of stuff that some piercers give you after you get a piercing for a while but it ran out a few weeks back because it was already half used.

JAYSUS!!!
    Mate get yourself some SEA SALT (NOT TABLE SALT)
    Some warm and i stress warm, not hot or cold
    and some cotton buds
    give it a good clean including the jewellery...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

M&S* wrote: »

Ok, what you NEED to do now if you wanna try to save the piercing is follow the guidelines here: http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055017477

I'd say still follow Wills advice and get checked to make sure you're ok, but use the guidelines from that thread to try to help heal the piercing and prevent further problems with it! And next time, PLEASE go to a professional for piercing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

while you have done a really silly thing i don't think it warrants a trip to the doctor...
    however, if at any stage you develop a temperature above 37.5degrees celcius you may need to see a doctor (infection)... also should you notice the redness around the site of the piercing grow/spread, this would be an indication of cellulitis (infection of the cells), for this you will also need to see a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

*bangs head off table in fustrastion* ok please tell me you did the following (you prob did not if it got infected)

1. Use a proper sterilized profesional piercing needle
    2. You disinfected the area you pierced
    3.you uses suitable jewellery such as a ring/barbell in the diameter/lenght and gauge ect....
    4. oh and i assume you know about cleaning it with non iodineised sea salt!!!!

I have pierced my lip/septum and over time i learnt how to do it as safe and as professionaly as possible (prob a better job than some places i know of :P) thank you and safe piercing(in future please go to a PROFESSIONAL)

Ok, what you NEED to do now if you wanna try to save the piercing is follow the guidelines here: http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055017477
    I'd say still follow Wills advice and get checked to make sure you're ok, but use the guidelines from that thread to try to help heal the piercing and prevent further problems with it! And next time, PLEASE go to a professional for piercing!
    Thanks for the link and yeah I wont be doing something like that for a while.
    tfak85 wrote: »
    while you have done a really silly thing i don't think it warrants a trip to the doctor...
    however, if at any stage you develop a temperature above 37.5degrees celcius you may need to see a doctor (infection)... also should you notice the redness around the site of the piercing grow/spread, this would be an indication of cellulitis (infection of the cells), for this you will also need to see a doctor.
    Yeah, I wasn't really up for paying the cost of a doctor if its nothing but if I notice any of that occuring I wont hesitate to ring up
    *bangs head off table in fustrastion* ok please tell me you did the following (you prob did not if it got infected)

1. Use a proper sterilized profesional piercing needle
    2. You disinfected the area you pierced
    3.you uses suitable jewellery such as a ring/barbell in the diameter/lenght and gauge ect....
    4. oh and i assume you know about cleaning it with non iodineised sea salt!!!!

I have pierced my lip/septum and over time i learnt how to do it as safe and as professionaly as possible (prob a better job than some places i know of :P) thank you and safe piercing(in future please go to a PROFESSIONAL)
    Eh well I tried my best to do all of the above, close enough but my own version...
    I have went to "professionals" in the past and I didn't find them very good at all and thought I'd do a better job myself, But I was kind of wrong about that.
    Thanks for all the advice!

Eh well I tried my best to do all of the above, close enough but my own version...
    I have went to "professionals" in the past and I didn't find them very good at all and thought I'd do a better job myself, But I was kind of wrong about that.
    Thanks for all the advice!

ok but may i ask what did u pierce your ear with and what jewelery did you use
    and i do agree with u on professionals (i got my right lobe gunned and she fu cked up big time) any way if u ever chose to do this again go on to ebay and buy a kit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

and i do agree with u on professionals (i got my right lobe gunned and she fu cked up big time)

This person was not a professional piercer. Professional piercers don't use guns.

Shunning trained piercers because of what happened when you got pierced with a gun isn't a very well thought out move. In the case of the OP the consequences certainly weren't better.

The advice to go buy a kit on ebay is ignorant at best and harmful at worst. Seriously?

Go to a professional. This means a piercer who DOESN'T use a gun, who HAS been trained in proper cross-contamination techniques, who is capable of providing a sterile, safe environment for the procedure, and of course, who will be able to give you proper aftercare if it all goes tits-up anyway.

ok but may i ask what did u pierce your ear with and what jewelery did you use
    and i do agree with u on professionals (i got my right lobe gunned and she fu cked up big time) any way if u ever chose to do this again go on to ebay and buy a kit

Here. Stop giving out terrible advice and telling people to go buy kits off eBay. You even said yourself you got some jewellery off there and it was terrible, I imagine the kits are just as bad.

Last warning. Next time you decide to spout rubbish think for a second, also familiarise yourself with the charter on here.

Here. Stop giving out terrible advice and telling people to go buy kits off eBay. You even said yourself you got some jewellery off there and it was terrible, I imagine the kits are just as bad.

Last warning. Next time you decide to spout rubbish think for a second, also familiarise yourself with the charter on here.

sorry :(

Advertisement