Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was anyone out with their scopes last night?

Options
  • 09-01-2010 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Despite the sub zero temperatures last night, I could not pass up how clear the sky was. I mean *clear*. It was so clear I could make out Sigma Ori in Orion, which is mag 4.

Anyway, the main reason I got the scope out last night was for M45, M42, and Mars. M45 was lovely and there was lots of contrast. M42 was mindblowing as usual, and I was able to make out four stars in the trapezium. And I could make out a hint of a green hue in Orions nebula, which was nice. :D

Then I flicked over to Mars and had a look. At the highest magnification I looked at it, (I think around 250x), it looked like a small white/creamy ish marble. I could make out no surface details, as I only have a 6 inch mirror, but I'm sure if I had a mars filter I would have made out something.

All in all, it was great fun, and I got back inside at 2am, frozen.

I hope someone else got out with theirs!

Hauk :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 murphyme

Well done.

I'm a bit too old and wimpy to do that now:)

Michael.

Advertisement