Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turntablism

Options
  • 09-01-2010 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭

I had a huge drunken argument with a mate a few weeks back, that lasted the whole 40 minute walk home. We were talking about DJing, and I was telling him how I digital DJ, and then he asked how I could scratch with a set-up like that. I told him that scratching wasn't important in a DJ set these days, but he argued that even so, every DJ should know how to scratch, because it's where modern DJing found it's origins. Who was right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Yore ma mate.

I can't scratch to save my life but I agree that the turntablists were the pioneers. With vinyl on it's last legs (not intended as troll food) I think it'll be less relevant but when I had record decks I used to practice regularly, to no avail. Nowadays with youtube to teach me I see no reason why I wouldn't be a champ though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

milltown wrote: »
    Yore ma mate.

I can't scratch to save my life but I agree that the turntablists were the pioneers. With vinyl on it's last legs (not intended as troll food) I think it'll be less relevant but when I had record decks I used to practice regularly, to no avail. Nowadays with youtube to teach me I see no reason why I wouldn't be a champ though.

Ph I agree that turntablists were the pioneers, and it all started from there, but I think by now it's branched into two completely different things, DJs, and scratch artists. You go to watch a scratch artist perform, to listen to the technique, but you go to a DJ to dance and enjoy the tunes. I don't really think a DJ starting out has to learn to scratch, there's no harm in it, but I just don't think it's relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

Why should every DJ know how to scratch, unless I was playing hip hop, drum 'n' Bass, Breaks etc it's not important.
    The fact that your friend says every dj should know how to scratch shows he doesn't know much about the history of the dj.
    Scratching only started to happen in the early 80's when Grand Wizard Theodore started doing it but there have been djs since the invention of the phonograph, djs up until the early 80's never scratched, does this mean they were never proper djs.
    Turnatblism is brilliant to listen too and watch(in small quantities, as it gets very repetitive and eventually boring)
    I suggest you all read the History of the DJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I agree that scratching isn't important. I can do it but have never used it as it doesn't suit the style I play. And as such its a skill I rarely practise.

I also agree, it does get very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Dirtyduffer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭LaughOrDie

In regards to you and your mates argument, I don't think either of you are right or wrong. You just have 2 different opinions. There does seem to be a snobbery about turntables though and some people seem to turn their nose up at digital DJ's for some reason. I have a few mates who DJ be it on Vinyl CD or Digitally and I don't see a huge difference between them. It's all about the timing, the tunes and having fun.

When it comes to scratching though, obviously turntables are the only option but scratching isn't for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

A lot of Djs out there bore the pants off me with their seamless robot mixing. One or two little scratches or beat juggles here and there lets the crowd know that they're not listening to a program automaticaly mixing the tracks. Too much of it is a pile of bolox too but IMO the likes of Dave Clarke at his peak (99-04) hit the balance just right with a few quick cuts and scratches making all the diference between a good set and a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Daroxtar wrote: »
    A lot of Djs out there bore the pants off me with their seamless robot mixing. One or two little scratches or beat juggles here and there lets the crowd know that they're not listening to a program automaticaly mixing the tracks. Too much of it is a pile of bolox too but IMO the likes of Dave Clarke at his peak (99-04) hit the balance just right with a few quick cuts and scratches making all the diference between a good set and a great one.

This is about right I think, but messing a round with a few things is different then learning to do everything Q-Bert can do. Would you say it's the same for digital DJs and controllerism? That they should throw a bit of that in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

This is about right I think, but messing a round with a few things is different then learning to do everything Q-Bert can do. Would you say it's the same for digital DJs and controllerism? That they should throw a bit of that in?

Yes, just let the audience know that you're there every now and again, otherwise it may as well just be a CD playing.

Advertisement