Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone into web/graphic design at all?

Options
  • 09-01-2010 3:48pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys does anyone here know a thing or two about web design or graphic design etc? As you may have seen I do a little bit of it for fun, mainly wordpress, joomla and phpbb - I just like putting together new sites and seeing what I can do.

I've just done a new one - well really I've redeveloped an old one on wordpress, going well so far and getting good traffic - unsurprisingly its on Digital Djing type stuff. I just want to see if I can do anything decent with it in the long run, get it to grow into a community etc. Is anyone here for of an expert than I am? I'd appreciate some help just to make sure I'm doing the write thing. Or I could even do with a hand from the content side also.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

I don't know much about web design, but I could help you out on content if you like. Before buying my gear I painstakingly researched more or less every soundcard, controller and mixer you can use. Are you looking to eventually make it into a djtechtools kind of thing?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Yeah pretty much. Basically, about 3 years ago I managed to buy a great domain: digital.dj. At the time I was the first dedicated site dedicated specifically to digital dj's - there really wan't anything else out there. Skratchworx were around but as the name suggests they were not really about digital.

The site went well and it got great traffic and a community was building, but I later just did not have the time to keep updating it with fresh stuff, so after a while the growth died. It still gets decent traffic on the content that is there though, so I thought that if I move to a better site technology and update with fresh content and then keep updating it, maybe it has a good chance of growing into a community simialar to DJtechtools. He has a really great site, Ean Golden is doing a great job - I can't compete with him on par, but I think I can do something slightly different - and still have a good chance at building it into a nice community.

I won't have the Exclusive breakhroughs of new gear etc, but I can cover what's out there well and put loads of info/content together well, all in one place for the particular product. Then also write original content on topics/ideas and just provide an interesting resopurce for the readers.

Thanks man that would be great, I'll be in touch. Anyone else that might have an idea for an article they could write even, whatever it is please shout!

Perhaps the one actually useful purpose I could serve would be to demo the X1 as soon as it arrives, I'll happily do that for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

my bit on the side is web-design, graphics and SEO, i'm by no means the finished article but i've been building sites for years, never went near the joomolas or wordpress yet. I'm not really in it to be making money but like zascar i like a blank sheet of canvas to create something.

http://mgcommunities.net/index.html

I was actually thinking of building an irish dance community myself, this place is alright but i was thinking of something of something a lot more specific with more features for DJs, somewhere you could uploaded mixes and maybe integrate the kitchen-sync radio into it.

The new vbulletin 4 is out (what boards runs on) and i only installed one last night, its nowhere near the finished article but i reckon it would be a good option for a community.

Anyway if i can help with anything let me know

If the lads would be up for it, have the kitchen-sync as part of it would be a great idea. It'd give both the sync and the site more traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

well I have 2 other sites from way back which I never use anymore, which you could use. www.irishdjforum.com - a forum for Irish DJ's - and also a blog for hosting mixes: http://irishdjforum.com/blog possibly doing something like that with Kitchen Sync could be good.

Zascar wrote: »
    well I have 2 other sites from way back which I never use anymore, which you could use. www.irishdjforum.com - a forum for Irish DJ's - and also a blog for hosting mixes: http://irishdjforum.com/blog possibly doing something like that with Kitchen Sync could be good.

that irish dj forum is fooked, i only signed up to it before it went belly up, wouldn't mind using the domain name though.

If another 2 or 3 people are interested in getting involved in this i'd be up for it, i have too many forums going at the moment to run another one though, i'd be into building and looking after upgrades but wouldn't be involved in moderating etc but i'm sure that wouldn't be a problem, what i have in mind would set me back about 200 quid and if a lot of people are uploading mixes it could become costly, although there is a few ways around that.

Wouldn't be doing anything for at least a month until the newst version of vbulletin is more updated with stlyes and add-ons etc.

It might be an idea to merge everything into one community, have a place for mixes, a blog, a forum, the kitchen-sync, and a reviews section all in the one section, if that's possible...

Yeah it has some annoying malware thing, i can't be assed to fix it I'm just going to delete everything, I just need to backup the databases first. Yeah you can use the domain, maybe we can find a few people to get together and do it. No point in providing mix hosting, just get soundcloud integration, way better.

Zascar wrote: »
    No point in providing mix hosting, just get soundcloud integration, way better.

True enough alright. If we get this going I could easily get a loada the regular DJs in the electro/techno clubs in town to join, or at least try.

• Advertisement

Perfect. So what sort of site are you thinking of, how would it work etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Keep meaning to do some web stuff, but was never arsed to get up and do it.

If you want some stuff photoshopped up let me know, I'm free till thursday :D (I owe O'Keefe a pint:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

I dabble in basic web design but am looking for someone who is pretty good a flash....??

If your up for updating a template for me give me a price and PM me ;)

I can put you onto my flash guy - you'll be looking at 100 quid a day though mate and thats cheap - still want his details ?

i suppose you can shop around

Advertisement