Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ballpark running cost p/h of a 2kw convector heater

Options
  • 08-01-2010 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi everyone hope im posting in the right forum.I,ve just bought a new electric heater delighted with the heat it pegs out. I have it turned up to the max its a cold night.Wondering how much per hour it costs to run.dont want to get stung in my next airtricity bill.:rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Well it depends which Airtricity plan you're on but if we assume the price per kwh is 8c, this means that your 2KW appliance will cost 16c to run per hour, ie 16c/kwh.

So if you leave it on for 12 hours, you must multiply this number by 12 to get the cost:

16c/kwh x 12 = 192c = €1.92.

You should be able to check your rates on any Airtricity bill or online.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

2KW - 2 units per hour

if it is on a thermostat it will use less as it switches itself off from time to time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ackerman

Thanks for the reply cap'n moonlight,its helpful.gracias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ackerman

Thank you also taconnol for your help,nearly left you out must be tireder than i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

taconnol wrote: »
    Well it depends which Airtricity plan you're on but if we assume the price per kwh is 8c, this means that your 2KW appliance will cost 16c to run per hour, ie 16c/kwh.

So if you leave it on for 12 hours, you must multiply this number by 12 to get the cost:

16c/kwh x 12 = 192c = €1.92.

You should be able to check your rates on any Airtricity bill or online.

The OP hasn't indicated the heater is a night storage one so we can't assume a price of 8c per kWh.
    He should be looking at a price of 14c per kWh which is more indicative of a daytime unit, i.e. it costs 28c per hour to run.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

Heroditas wrote: »
    The OP hasn't indicated the heater is a night storage one so we can't assume a price of 8c per kWh.
    He should be looking at a price of 14c per kWh which is more indicative of a daytime unit, i.e. it costs 28c per hour to run.
    Indeed, that's exactly why I indicated that it would depend on the OP's price plan and clearly just used 8c/unit as an example when going through the necessary calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

2KW - 2 units per hour

if it is on a thermostat it will use less as it switches itself off from time to time

Because there is usually a thermostat on these things, the answer to this is elusive. On a cold night with a lot of heat loss through walls and windows, the stat will be on for more time, so the cost will rise.

There are power meters available that you plug into a socket and then plug the appliance into the meter. You then get an exact reading of the cost of running that appliance over a period of time. It gives a reading of current watts, total power consumed (since plugged in) and the cost of the power used.

I bought one a while back and a week later replaced our old fridge after watching the readings. I've seen them for sale occasionally in Aldi, but they are also available from Maplin and others for about €10. Q

Advertisement