Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim Mora fired by the Seahawks

Options
  • 08-01-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Jim Mora was fired by the Seahawks this afternoon. He only got one year in the job and they went 5-11. He didnt do well this year but I gotta say I'm shocked he got fired. They tabbed him as Mike Holgrem's replacement prior to his hiring and was their defensive coordinator. They knew what they getting from him and yet only gave him one year as the head coach.

Who does everyone think will take over the job? Cower has said he would only come in with a top QB in place, Hasselbeck doesnt deserve to be called a top line QB anymore but with an early draft slot they could get a Bradford or Clausen early on or wait for Jevon Sneed(declared yesterday) or Colt McCoy etc to use in the future after grooming alongside Hasselbeck.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Don't mind the early rumours, Pete Carroll comes up regularly for most NFL vacancies.

Personally I don't think Seattle need a QB yet. They have too many other glaring needs to take care of, those two first round picks will attract some coaches to the job for sure.
    They need an OT, they need a run stuffing DT, they need a pass rushing DE. And they need all them very badly, and thats just for starters.

Hasselbeck cannot be blamed for the problems in Seattle this past season, he got no protection and the D sucked big time, giving up huge yardage against the run and not being able to the get to the QB.

If I had to pick a coach who would be suited to this job, I'd go after Brian Billick. He knows how to put a team together and he loves a challenge.

Apparently Carroll has already interviewed for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Certainly seems to be happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Tristram wrote: »
    Certainly seems to be happening.

Yeah there's a lot of chatter doing the rounds. You would have to say if Caroll is ever going to leave for the NFL why would he not do it now? The Trojans struggled this year and the program and Caroll had quite a few problems this season, the Joe McKnight saga, Sanchez, displinary issues on the field etc. The one thing that I would think standing in the way from Caroll's perspective is whether he will get complete control of the team. The Seahawks balked at Mike Holgrem getting this type of all-encampassing role with the team last season and he left, what has changed within the year to give Caroll complete control?

After all of the sucess that Caroll brought SC since he came, what more is there for him to win in college ball? Two national titles, seven straight conference titles, Heisman winners etc. he has done it all and made SC nationally relevant again after a period in the doldroms. After the strain of this season Caroll must be tempted to move for a new challenge and the 'Hawks represent that for him. If you compare this situation to the last few times he has been targeted by NFL teams it is much for favourable for him leaving then it was in the past

As I said earlier, there would be a lot of coaches that would be interested with those two early first rounders.

The only thing with Pete Carroll is that he loves USC, he has had a great time there and has the control he desires. Its a lot to give up, but I suppose if he really has the desire to make a name for himself in the NFL, then if he gets the control he is after its the best move for him.

I personally have great respect for the guy, not only for what he has done in college but what he did in San Fran as DC and what he did at New England, where I do feel he was very unlucky, he lost Curtis Martin to the Jets, and Robert Edwards who looked like he was going to be a superstar got injured after a great rookie season. He lost Bledsoe for the playoffs in his second year. Nothing just went his way.

Of course I'm glad it went like that or we wouldn't have had Belichick.:)

Still the guy was just cursed at New England, Kevin Faulk was one of the great draft picks from him. He didn't start off great but he has been so good for us for so long now.
    One thing he did was hand Belichick a young mean D which we had not had for many, many years in Foxboro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

He's gone apparently. Told his staff and is looking at hiring his OC who the Bears are also after.

I think its a good move. If your tired of the college game the only way is down from USC. He's won it all and made a lot of money.He gets to go back to the NFL and prove himself there where he wants to, then retire with the stacks of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Delighted with the news. A disaster of a season, horrible to watch. I like the way the club isn't taking this lying down and they're not afraid to make the tough decisions. Pete Carroll would be an amazing appointment. 2 first round draft picks too.
    As much as i love Hasselbeck he is past his best. Time to get his replacement in and move forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Delighted with the news. A disaster of a season, horrible to watch. I like the way the club isn't taking this lying down and they're not afraid to make the tough decisions. Pete Carroll would be an amazing appointment. 2 first round draft picks too.
    As much as i love Hasselbeck he is past his best. Time to get his replacement in and move forward.

Would you be happy to see Carroll go if they have another losing season? Not saying it's a bad decision, but at some point you have to give your coach time to build.

As for Hasselbeck, he's good enough not to have to draft a QB in the first round. I'm with eagle eye on that. Don't waste a first round draft when Hasselbeck is still well above the Marc Bulger/Ryan fitzpatrick/JMR level. Get the D sorted, get the O-line sorted. Then wait a year, or make a nice trade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Good move for Carroll but he steps back into a different NFL than he was in previous. It will be interesting to see if the Seahawks give him the time to build or will they expect instant results from a Guy who done it all in College Football.

We all know his record in College but sadly enough it is a totally different game. So Carroll is going to need time to do his thing. Something sometimes NFL teams or fans don't give their coaches.

For Carroll to succeed the Seahawks are going to have to give him time and lots of it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

I think Pete Carroll's reputation alone would guarantee him a few years before he comes under pressure. Mora was a terrible choice to begin with. He was the secondary coach in 2008 and that was one of our worst performing units on the field. He reminds me a bit of Mark Hughes at Man City, nice guy and not the worst coach in the world but not what we need right now.
    Outscore 123-37 in our last four games of the season? No-where near good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

frostie500 wrote: »
    You would have to say if Caroll is ever going to leave for the NFL why would he not do it now? The Trojans struggled this year and the program and Caroll had quite a few problems this season, the Joe McKnight saga, Sanchez, displinary issues on the field etc.

Thats also why I think he left. When you look at what happened to the basketball program at USC with O.J. Mayo and like you said the football program having McKnight and Reggie Bush in a similar situation, he could have seen this as the best time to jump ship.

Where is poor Blue, I'd imagine she is not a happy camper right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭cambridge7

CEO Tod Leiweke should shoulder the blame on this one. Mora might have been an natural successor to Coach Holmgrem who will be hard to replace i.m.o.p.
    Wish him the best. Looks likes its going to be Pete Carroll (99%)

Advertisement