Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car gone dead - What to do?

Options
  • 08-01-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Due to snow my Fiat Punto is gone dead. When turning the car on i get the smallest noise but nowhere near enough to start the car.

I had it on for a while yesterday to try help it and was working grand yesterday.

Today it's just not.

What's the best thing to do at this stage?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

probably your battery.. batterys can just go in freezing weather like this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Yeah I think it is. But what's the best thing to do?

I don't think it can be solved can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Yeah I think it is. But what's the best thing to do?

I don't think it can be solved can it?

I think you require a new battery or to trickle charge the old one

If you don't need the car daily it might be best to wait until the cold spell breaks but a new battery running daily should be fine

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

New battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Jump start it using jump cables
    Leve it running, the alternator may re-charge the battery.
    Or once its started bring it to a local mechanic and ask him to charge the battery for ya for an hour or two

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

See if a relative or neighbour has a set of jump leads and try and jump start your car from theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Have the same thing today with the wife's car; just a small tick from the starter engine and then nothing. I live close to a garage and they came over and told me the car is frozen. Even a jump start did not help.

Just need to wait until the temperature rises or the guy said to heat your engine up with a hair dryer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

it happened to me last week, I just jum started the car and away I went!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Don't need it daily and wouldn't risk driving in this anyways.

Best bet is just to wait until it's better out and then jump start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A car battery charger (mains) is a good thing to have. You can get a reasonably good one for 50-70 quid from Argos. Mine has more than paid for itself in terms of saving hassle and expense.

Also if you are not using the car very often it might be an idea to disconnect the battery as clocks and radios can drain it a little over time. You'll need to enter your radio code afterwards.

I recently drove a diesel Ford Fiesta that hadn't been started in over 4 months, it started without assistance in a frost of -5 degrees. There is no radio in it so that may have made a difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement