Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature application or only via CAO

Options
  • 08-01-2010 7:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I am hoping to return to education this year to study human genetics at trinity as a mature student. I will therefore have to apply directly to trinity as well as through the CAO.
    What I would like to know is this:
    If I don`t get accepted the mature student route after my application and interview with trinity, can I still get onto the course via the CAO, ie is the CAO application a secondary "fallback" option for me. This is bearing in mind that I have enough points from my Leaving Cert 9 years ago for the course based on the last 10 years of entry requirements.
    Or is it the case that, if I apply as a mature student and trinity turn me down, then my CAO application and Leaving Cert points are not considered at all then?

I have asked the admissions department at trinity and they didn`t seem to know the answer, and the mature student officer there was hazy at best on the details.

Can anyone shed some light on this before I fill out the forms this coming week?

Also, just to cover myself, I think I will apply to both the Human Genetics degree and to the general science degree where I might have the option of taking genetics later.
    However, should I do this, and my mature application direct to Human Genetics is turned down, but my mature application to General Science is accepted, and then in August I have enough points from my LC for the CAO application to HGen, can I then drop the mature student offer of Science and take the CAO offer of HGen?

Its hard to get straight answers from anybody so far.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi there,
    I am hoping to return to education this year to study human genetics at trinity as a mature student. I will therefore have to apply directly to trinity as well as through the CAO.
    What I would like to know is this:
    If I don`t get accepted the mature student route after my application and interview with trinity, can I still get onto the course via the CAO, ie is the CAO application a secondary "fallback" option for me. This is bearing in mind that I have enough points from my Leaving Cert 9 years ago for the course based on the last 10 years of entry requirements.
    Or is it the case that, if I apply as a mature student and trinity turn me down, then my CAO application and Leaving Cert points are not considered at all then?

I have asked the admissions department at trinity and they didn`t seem to know the answer, and the mature student officer there was hazy at best on the details.

Can anyone shed some light on this before I fill out the forms this coming week?

I have heard of mature students failing to get a place through the Mature student route and then being offered one on the basis of points in their LC. That was in DIT though not TCD but I think the same process applies to all HEI's (i am open to correction on this though :D). With regards to getting the place as an LC student you would also need to make sure you satisfy the subject requirements for the course. If you don't then your points are moot tbh.

, just to cover myself, I think I will apply to both the Human Genetics degree and to the general science degree where I might have the option of taking genetics later.
    However, should I do this, and my mature application direct to Human Genetics is turned down, but my mature application to General Science is accepted, and then in August I have enough points from my LC for the CAO application to HGen, can I then drop the mature student offer of Science and take the CAO offer of HGen?

Its hard to get straight answers from anybody so far.

My understanding is that it would depend on which one is your first choice on your app. If you put the Gen Science at 1st choice and you are offered that as a Mature then thats it. You wont be offered anything lower in your choices.
    If you put Human Genetics at 1st choice then even if you are offered Gen Science through the MS route in Round A, should your points make you eligible for Human Genetics in the Round 1 offers you can be offered it then. You can accept this later offer even if you have previously accepted the Gen Science offer.
    It is confusing but i think thats how it works.

Good luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭u60gypx5jakoti

Hmm,

This advice seems to contradict this advice...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63885283&posted=1#post63885283

Im not sure what to believe now!

Oh, and I meet the entry requirements for both courses, plus got enough points in LC to cover both courses too. Which of the posts is right though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

Do you need to supply references to the CAO? or only if you get called to Trinity for an interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm not sure either to be honest. But I would think that if you tick Mature Student application, you will be considered as a mature student by the colleges and looked at that way. If you are confident that you have enough points, I would apply that way as Human Genetics in TCD would be tough to get into by mature entry.

I would have General Science as a back up too on your CAO list. You can get into Genetics that way but I think there are limited places. But it's best to always have a back up.

TirNaNog - yes you have to supply references to the CAO, as well as the separate ones as part as your application to TCD. (UCD require 3 references IIRC).

TirNaNog - yes you have to supply references to the CAO, as well as the separate ones as part as your application to TCD. (UCD require 3 references IIRC)
    I'm doing my application online.... me didnt see any mention of references to the CAO,so I'll just stick 3 on a page and send it in with my postal documents..

What about TCD ? When did you supply references,at the interview stage?
    TCD dont want any additional documents posted in like the CAO,just the supplementary application form..

Would I still need to go to an interview to UCD even though I would have my place held from the access?When do I supply my references to them?
    :):):)

• Advertisement

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    I'm doing my application online.... me didnt see any mention of references to the CAO,so I'll just stick 3 on a page and send it in with my postal documents..

What about TCD ? When did you supply references,at the interview stage?
    TCD dont want any additional documents posted in like the CAO,just the supplementary application form..

Would I still need to go to an interview to UCD even though I would have my place held from the access?When do I supply my references to them?
    :):):)

Sorry, yeah TCD don't want references, just the information supplied on the supplementary form. But send the references to the CAO. What do you mean about sticking 3 on a page?? Have them separate, with your name and CAO number clearly marked on them (I put it on the back).

I don't think UCD interview any mature applicants. I wasn't interviewed and I don't think anyone else from the Access course was either. (and we all got places! :) )

What do you mean about sticking 3 on a page?? Have them separate, with your name and CAO number clearly marked on them (I put it on the back)
    :D I didnt mean I was going to scribble 3 down on any aul page,like you say I will put the 3 of them on a blank page and staple it to the back of my application :)

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    :D I didnt mean I was going to scribble 3 down on any aul page,like you say I will put the 3 of them on a blank page and staple it to the back of my application :)

No, I mean you will need 3 letters of recommendations from 3 separate referees ideally an employer, educational and one other (whichever is better). Not just contact details..

Larianne wrote: »
    But I would think that if you tick Mature Student application, you will be considered as a mature student by the colleges and looked at that way. If you are confident that you have enough points, I would apply that way as Human Genetics in TCD would be tough to get into by mature entry.

So if I tick the mature student box on CAO application, only my mature student application will be considered by trinity?, ie, work and life experience, essay, and interview. Not my CAO points? even if I fail the mature student access route but have enough points for the course, does it then default to a points application for me via CAO or not? If my mature application is turned down, my points dont matter?

If so, then what if I don`t tick the mature student box at all, why do I even need to apply to trinity directly then? Do I have to because of my age?

I feel more confident of making the course because of my points rather than the mature student criteria. If applying as a mature student rules out my points altogether, then I should just apply as a regular student, right? Is it possible?

Larianne wrote: »
    No, I mean you will need 3 letters of recommendations from 3 separate referees ideally an employer, educational and one other (whichever is better). Not just contact details..

Ah thats a nightmare,I've made my application online and need to send my postal documents within 7 days,I'd say I could get 1 or 2 letters in the next week,do you think they would mind If I posted them in before 1st feb?
    Or what about 2 letters of ref and 1 contact detail :pac:

• Advertisement

I sent mine in later than a week the first year I applied as I was in Australia when I sent it all off. I emailed the CAO and they said it was fine. Just try get it all in as soon as.

References is totally up to yourself. But I know for UCD, they state they look for 3, unless Science is different.

So is it possible for me to just apply as a standard applicant then? Where just my points are used as my entry guidelines?
    Do I only have to apply as a mature applicant if I want my points ignored and my experience, essay, interview used as criteria instead? ( ie. If I am over 23, I can choose to apply based on my points only, or choose to apply based on my experience etc???)

My details are:
    I am 27 years old, and have previously attended Uni, though not finished. I left uni 5 years ago. I got 550 points from my leaving cert in 2000. The minimum points required for human genetics in the last 12 years have been:

If you've the required subjects and feel you have enough points I would apply through the usual route, i.e. not as a mature student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The Machine:I would love to know what you did in the end? Did you manage to get in through the point system?

I've been filling out my mature student applications for the last few weeks but reading this thread has made me all confused. I got 570 points in the Leaving in 2001. I want to apply to do Social Studies in Trinity, which for the last few years has been around the 480 mark, with the peak being 515.

Chances are I will probably get it through the point system as Im well over the cut off point?Can I apply this way or do I have to apply as a mature student?I'm atrocious at interviews and my academic refrences from my previous course in UCD are very poor, so maybe it would be best going the points way?
    Would I still be classified as a mature student when it comes to the grant situation If I apply this way?

Advertisement