Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intensive Study Skills Workshop

Options
  • 08-01-2010 1:15am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need one. Like a weekend or a week long course. How to approach study, how to prepare for exams, how to organise your notes. How not to fail exams in college!

It's for my brother who's getting quite annoyed with himself for failing at this no matter what he does. I'm quite organised but I haven't been able to help him, he needs a professional.

A mix between a drill sergent and an academic, ideally with a preference for engineering would be ideal. Any ideas where to start? Google didnt help.

(This is a fairly dead forum but I couldnt find anywhere else more approriate to post it, no harm trying!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

I dont know of any study skills workshop tbh but I'm studying for final year engineering exams at the moment so I'm using this post as a break. :)

I'm guessing you have college experience, have you noticed anything particularly wrong with your bro's studying methods?

Other things he should look at is attendance. Does he attend well? Does he go to labs? If you haven't attended labs and go to do study on it, you're going to struggle.

Organisation. I have all my notes in a binder divided by subjects. I chuck everything in there. I have a memory key with all other notes, programs, etc divided by year and subject. I wouldn't be a neat freak but I'd get annoyed if I can't find something.

My main method for studying is going through past papers for the subject. I usually do the last 2-3 years. Then if that subject has tutorials or something I'll do them as well. This forces you to go through the notes and you start to pick up stuff.

Again, I know you posted looking for a study skills workshop, but I think he just needs to correct what he is doing wrong. Whether this is not practicing exams enough, not studying enough or he has made the exams difficult for himself by not attending etc.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Hey,

Yeah, I basically would have done the exact same as you when I was in college and it worked. I've tried to show him that, but it doesnt take. That's why I think he needs, like a drill sergent and tutor in one! Thanks tho!!

Maybe grinds from a final year student who would look at their first year and think 'what did I do wrong that I'd do differently if I could'...

Though he said he found a course for free in his college so hopefully that'll go well too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Tails142

In engineering the exam questions are *generally* variants of previous years questions with just the figures changed.

His strategy should be to just work through the last 3-5 years of exam papers. Try and get solutions off a class mate, somebody always has photocopies from a past/repeat student.

All he has to do is keep rewriting these past exam questions until he can answer them without having to look at the solutions, i.e. he will have learned the material.

Advertisement