Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network setup charges?

Options
  • 07-01-2010 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Apologies if this in in the wrong forum. I want to get a server network set up.
    It should be fairly straightforward. Server and 3/4 PC's running admin and accounts applications, email, back up via DAT and one shared laser printer. There will be some wiring involved. Some of the software will already be set up as most of the hardware and the server was in use on the one network previously although in a different location.

I have been told it will take between 1 and one and a half days which I believe. We have all the necessary hardware and software already.

My question is what should I expect to pay an engineer for the setup? What is a fair hourly/daily rate for a self employed engineer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hi Snowdrop,

The costing will vary depending on a few factors. Where you are located, what type of network (cat5e or Cat6), will you need it certified or verified, what kind of an office layout you have to mention a few. Also will your work require setup of a new server or an existing one, cause if its new then a server may not be needed. Myself and my colleague both charge €50 per hour plus Vat and that I think is a fair price. Any amount above that, as in Ive seen guys charging 120 per hour I personally think thats unfair unless they are senior engineers configuring cisco systems or something.

Id shop around and make sure who ever you get they actually care about what they do, so many dont give a hoot... If you have any technical questions Id be glad to advise you or verify if you are getting good value.

Advertisement