Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

made redundant last year!! should i go back to college

Options
  • 07-01-2010 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi there!!

i had been working in web development/design for 8.5 years and was made redundant early last year. I have been freelancing since, doing the same thing but finding it hard to get work ;( and it seems impossible to get a permanent job these days.

i have been considering going back to college as a mature student at the age of 36, but i can't decide whether to do somthing related to what im doing at the mo, like multimedia or software dev, but i feel i will be going over old ground by going back to college!!
    then again i feel maybe i should do somthing totally different but not sure what, as i have been working in the one area for a long time.

any advice would be greatfully appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WiseMona

I just started back to college (Sept 2009) at the ripe old age of 35.
    I am not the youngest mature :-)

I decided to follow my passion instead of sticking to what I have been working in for the last 15 yrs.

I have no regrets. It is not easy - it is a challenge, esp. with 2 kids and hubby. But - well worth it!

Make sure you have your finances in order - because it ain't cheap!
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cavancola73

Thanks WiseMona for the reply!!

yeah i know it wont be cheap :( can you tell me did you go through the CAO process or qualify under the goverment scheme announced last year??

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭WiseMona

No - for my course (BA-Creative Writing) I had to put together a portfolio, do 2 interviews and an aptitude test. Not sure what Govt. scheme you are talking about?? BTEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cavancola73

actually the scheme was where colleges allocated certain courses for people who where unemployed, but didn't have to go through the CAO process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭DAC

I'm back in Uni as part of the Labor Mkt Activation Scheme - studying Computer Science - its not easy but it is very satisfying - a lot of matures back at 3rd level due to the economy - one piece of advice is do something you are interested in - I decided to stay in approximatly the same field as I have always worked in -- Electronics- If engineering dosen't come bak then Ireland is in trouble big time!! - good Luck in your decision making

• Advertisement
Advertisement