Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on passing the music entrance exam????

Options
  • 07-01-2010 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi I'm hoping to study music as part of a TSM at TCD and I'm worried about the entrance exam. I don't have much knowledge of music theory and the exam is in March so I'm trying to figure out ways I can study for it by then, particularly the aural exam as it is stressed as the most important part. Ive checked out the sample paper and it scared me shtless. Any tips, advice or links on how I can study for this quickly would be really appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

snooleen wrote: »
    Hi I'm hoping to study music as part of a TSM at TCD and I'm worried about the entrance exam. I don't have much knowledge of music theory and the exam is in March so I'm trying to figure out ways I can study for it by then, particularly the aural exam as it is stressed as the most important part. Ive checked out the sample paper and it scared me shtless. Any tips, advice or links on how I can study for this quickly would be really appreciated. :)

Ok, well I dont know what level of musicianship you are at so I'll assume nothing and go from there.

First of all get hold of the sample paper (done)
    Read it (done)
    Don't worry about what you don't know.

These are the first three steps. You have 2 out of 3 so you are doing fine.

If you study music in school (to a leaving cert level) then you are already being taught melody/harmony and counterpoint recognition. Ask your music teacher to help go through the paper with you, the aural test is of a higher standard then the LC exam but not by much.

Use online aural tests like this one to practice, and that is the key, practice.

For the musical history/essay questions brush up on your reading of classical movements/schools. I would recommend avoiding the composers on the LC syllabus as you want to stand out and not just be another "eine kleine is a structured etc etc". I would recommend Shostakovich or Tchaikovsky as they are reasonably easy composers to write about and yet have amazing lives to add little quips. If you are going heavy try Beethoven (he went deaf and still conducted ffs) or Mahler (its all about the Jewishness with him- that and the fact Freud analysed him).

If you go in via TSM you are still judged at the full musicianship level.

And the golden piece of advice for all exams not just this one, there is no such thing a negative marking in a written musical exam, keep writing until your hand falls off, do not leave early, read over everything and crucially in the segments where you are marking a stave penmanship and neatness always endear you to an examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

Thank you so much :D Ive been practising the ear tests and Im not doing too badly :) Do you think I'll be at a horrible disadvantage if I do get in because I have little music theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭duffman90210

Simple answer: No.

They don't want people that know everything already. As long as you have a good solid grounding on the principles they'll take you the rest of the way.

Advertisement