Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prob one for FusionNet

Options
  • 07-01-2010 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hello all,

I have a site where my company has the IT contract for. Bit of a problem has come up over the cold weather.. They have a CAT5 Link between two cabinets. Not ideal but did the job until recently.

The cables runs the exterior of the building. The problem is with the snow and ice over the last few days this cable has started to act up. As in if I put a fluke tester on it in the morning I get no signal. If I put the fluke tester on the cable in the afternoon it gets a positive response with no failures. This is an insulated piece of cat5e and we've never had the problem until two weeks ago.

Now my question is does CAT5, 6, 7 have a temperature that it will not operate under. As it appears like when the suns comes out it works fine. Has anyone seen this before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Sounds like the cable has been battling the elements and came out worse. Would not have a suggestion for an over all cause of the problem.

As for the second questionl; Cat5e

Temperature operating -55 to +60 °C
    You can buy cable that can push for higher or lower °C

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

How long has the cable been installed - is it exposed to direct sunlight? The usual sheathing material on cat 5 cables would break down from UV light, and what you could be experiencing now is moisture on the line...

I'd suggest running an external grade cable, the cat rating doesn;t particularly matter, or a fibre optic link. Or, you could set up a wireless bridge if site conditions are suitable, and bandwidth expectations aren;t massive...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

hey all,

Got two new cables ran in this morning. Two insualted CAT5 cables teminated and all set now again. Cheers for all the info lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Hey Rory,

Sorry I was on yesterday but this never highlighted as an unread thread so I missed it. Glad you got sorted. Ya this weather is going to throw up major problems with networks and CCTV as we have never had to spec for minus 12 degrees. Id also suggest a cheaper Wimax solution as its secure and getting cheap. Most cat5/6 etc is designed for indoors and various temps. You made the right move getting insulated cable, I presume its an external grade rated cable? What brand did you go with as a matter of interest?

Advertisement