Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow - Swans - Grand Canal Dublin

Options
  • 07-01-2010 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi There
    A vew photos from yesterday [Wed 06 Jan ]

I have posted more here

101377.jpg

101373.jpg

101374.jpg

101376.jpg

101375.jpg

Parts of the lough are frozen
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I love the 2nd one of the swan staring straight into the camera...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I just walked down that way now and its totally frozen all the way to the ballsbridge. Its white with snow too, very weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I love the 2nd one of the swan staring straight into the camera...

Me too! So lovely to see the canal, all part of my 'home' for two and a half years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Lovely photos. The lock must be completely frozen over by now.

Bring some food for the swans if you're passing!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

It was completey frozen over and covered with snow when I was cycling along the canal into work yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭tvbrat

Some more photos I got on Sat 9 Jan
    hope you like them:)

attachment.php?attachmentid=102105&stc=1&d=1263209771

attachment.php?attachmentid=102106&stc=1&d=1263209771

attachment.php?attachmentid=102107&stc=1&d=1263209771

attachment.php?attachmentid=102108&stc=1&d=1263209771

attachment.php?attachmentid=102109&stc=1&d=1263209771

More Snow and Swans here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gubster

i was just doing a quick google search to see if anyone knew why these swans are dying on the canal. There was another one dead this morning- that makes 5 in total as far as I am aware- could be more. It's so sad- does anyone know why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 gubster

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?cid=29799

found my answer from another poster- happy to know someone is looking into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Just a quote from the info link posted above -
    More dead swans found in the Grand Canal in Dublin, reports were received. They are concentrated on the 7th level from Portobello to Suir Road Bridge. A number were taken from the water for analysis last week. A number of sick birds were also found and were taken to the DSPCA depot for treatment. Another half dozen birds have been found dead this AM. Initial reports suggest that the problem is NOT Avian Flu but is more likely some form of botulism or other bacterial infection. The source is as yet unknown but a number of dead and rotting sea-fish were found in the area and that is one possible source. Swans are known to be susceptible to this infection and similar cases have been reported from other areas in the past. There were also suggestions that the dredging programme may have disturbed some bacteria in the sediment but this is seen as unlikely given the infected birds are some distance from the dredging site.

That is terrible :mad::(

Advertisement