Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celtic church -v- Roman church?

Options
  • 07-01-2010 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Plowman wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I was listening to Pat Kenny today and he was interviewing a man who was once a RC priest, but left the priesthood and the Catholic Church in 1996 following a conversion of sorts. He is still a Christian but not affiliated to any particular church now. He argued that the Celtic brand of Christianity differed from Roman practice and that the spread of the Roman Catholic Church is/was essentially parasitic. Being a Catholic myself there were areas where I obviously disagreed with him. :p But the interview was very interesting all the same.

I understand that the Roman Catholic Church tried to standardise practices over time, but I think it is incorrect to suggest that a Celtic Christian church existed distinct from the Roman one. Not to be cynical about it, but I think his stance was probably influenced by his gripes towards the modern day Catholic Church.

If you want to hear it, it is 1 hr 39 min in.

Link.

Good piece on it from Christian Assenblies International (www.CAI.org)

Was There a British Church Before Augustine Came?

An Examination of the Evidence

On Friday, the 19th April, George Carey, the new Archbishop of Canterbury, was enthroned in Canterbury Cathedral.

Few who witnessed that ceremony, either as members of the congregation or who formed part of the vast number of viewers throughout the world, can have failed to find their pulses racing a little as the pageantry proceeded. Nor would there be many who did not respond to the inspiring and exciting words of the Archbishop in his address.

George Carey was recognised as a man of vigour and conviction; a strong man, a friendly man who would spend little time "sitting on the fence." Yet a tiny feeling of apprehension continues to disturb one. When a man is not "sitting on the fence," should we not ask on which side of the fence does he stand?

In the course of his address, the one hundred and third Archbishop of Canterbury, Primate of All England, spiritual head of the Church of England (the Queen is its Supreme Governor) and leader of the Anglican Communion throughout the world, made reference to Pope Gregory's emissary to these islands, a monk named Augustine; who, in the year A.D. 597, and who, to quote the Archbishop, "nearly fourteen hundred years ago, landed on a wild Kentish shore. He came with a desire to make Christ known as the Light of the World."

We cannot doubt that Augustine was so imbued; nor can we doubt that the Archbishop was well aware that the Christian Church was already established here in Britain long before Augustine's arrival. It was, however, somewhat unfortunate that the words of the Archbishop may have been understood by some to mean that the birth of Christianity in these islands occurred when Augustine arrived on the coast of Kent, but not before.

To interpret the words in this way is not merely fanciful but very probable, because it is contended by a number of historians that there has been a conspiracy to disparage, if not to deny, the existence of the early church in Britain. All too few Britons today, will have been able to avoid this and other false teaching prosecuted by the Roman Church throughout the centuries. Are we to see the consummation of that teaching in the next decade?

It is held by others - it has to be admitted that they are the majority - that there is no hard evidence of a Christian Church of any signifi­cance prior to the year 314. However, the Nomina Episcoporum of the Council of Arles in that year provides the names of three British bishops: Eborius of York, Restitutus of London and Adelphius, whose see may have been Lincoln, Colchester or Caerleon.

Arles is conclusive that there was an organised Christian Church in Britain prior to Augustine's arrival. De facto, the existence of bishops implies the existence of subordinate clergy and the congregations to which they ministered.

It is argued that because there is no record of British delegates attending the Council of Nicaea in 325 or of the Council of Sardica in 343, the church must have been in serious decline. This suggestion can be repudiated by reason of the recorded payment of travelling expenses to British delegates at the Council of Ariminum in 359. In any case, it is not reasonable to assume that members of Christian bodies do not exist simply because they do not attend conferences. In our movement today we are only too aware of this fact.

Much contempt is poured upon the belief that St. Paul visited these islands and that Joseph of Arimathea established on the Isle of Avalon perhaps the first Christian Church in Britain. The sheer weight of opinion is intimidating, until it is realised that opinion unsupported by evidence is of little value.

The legends and traditions which give rise to belief in a vigorous pre-Augustine Christian Church are themselves circumstantial evidence deserving serious consideration. It is not "wishful thinking", nor of modern invention that the good folk of Priddy in the Mendips, in order to emphasise a point, will say, "as sure as the Lord was in Priddy."
    It is well said that the onus of proof rest with he who makes the proposition. But in the absence of authenticated records there are reasonable suppositions and assumptions which must stand until positively disproved. Mere disapproval is not disproof.

The recognition of the early Church in these islands during the first three centuries A.D. does suffer from a paucity of first-hand witnesses, but there are reputable commentators. We can be grateful to the late Rev G. H. Nicholson for assembling, in very convenient form, many statements by early church historians showing (quoting from the title page of his valuable booklet) "...that the Church of Eng­land can claim Apostolic foundation, unbroken continuity and scriptural authority as the sole basis of its rule of faith and its form of government." We do well to look askance at the scholars who disregard the statements made, roughly four hundred years before Augustine, by men of the intellectual stature of Tertullion and Eusebius.

Tertullion, who died in A.D. 222, wrote, "The extremities of Spain, the various parts of Gaul, the regions of Britain which have never been penetrated by Roman arms have received the religion of Christ." (Def, Fidei, p.179).

Eusebius wrote at the time of the Council of Arles (314 A.D.), "The Apostles passed beyond the ocean to the isles called the Britannic Isles." (De Demonstratione Evan­gellii, Lib. 111).

To suggest, that the Roman Church has falsified British history to its advantage, is met with some astonishment and no little resentment on the part of church people who could call themselves orthodox. It was not always so. In the last century, many erudite men of the Church defended the veracity of the Arimathean mission: that Joseph of Arimathea did, indeed, come to the Isle of Avalon and there founded a church in Glastonbury. A powerful supporter of this belief was Archbishop Usher.
    A century and more ago, it would have occasioned no surprise to have expressed the opinion that St. Paul visited these islands, that he preached here, and was the friend of a royal house of Britain.

From his own hand we have reference to that close association in his Second Epistle to Timothy. They and he shared the same fate of martyrdom.

In the compass of a short article only the most fleeting mention can be made of these tremendous events, but discerning Christians will understand that Satan's intention is the subversion of our spiritual heritage as a precursor to the frustrating of God's purposes by means of His people, the true Israel. Our task and privilege is to learn, disseminate and rejoice in the truth of God's Holy Word. This brings enlightenment and salvation to all who honour Him, ensuring the renewal and revival of His people through Christ our Lord, who undoubtedly walked these lands in ancient days.

by Victor S. Harper
    Source: 'Wake Up!' magazine, July/August 1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Good piece on it from Christian Assenblies International

Good if you have a high tolerance level for nonsense. British Israelism makes little sense (although it is popular among white supremacists). But the article really jumps the shark in its final sentence:

"through Christ our Lord, who undoubtedly walked these lands in ancient days." :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭postcynical

Sorry Plowman, I don't have the time to listen to it now although it sounds interesting. But tell me, did this priest leave the Roman Catholic church and perhaps fall in love?;)

Surely he's not lying in a cold stream for 40 days saying 15000 hail Marys (sic) the way the old Celtic Saints used to be doing... or letting birds nest in his hand while he meditates for the Spring ...
    Plowman wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I was listening to Pat Kenny today and he was interviewing a man who was once a RC priest, but left the priesthood and the Catholic Church in 1996 following a conversion of sorts. He is still a Christian but not affiliated to any particular church now. He argued that the Celtic brand of Christianity differed from Roman practice and that the spread of the Roman Catholic Church is/was essentially parasitic. Being a Catholic myself there were areas where I obviously disagreed with him. :p But the interview was very interesting all the same.

I understand that the Roman Catholic Church tried to standardise practices over time, but I think it is incorrect to suggest that a Celtic Christian church existed distinct from the Roman one. Not to be cynical about it, but I think his stance was probably influenced by his gripes towards the modern day Catholic Church.

If you want to hear it, it is 1 hr 39 min in.

Link.

PDN wrote: »
    Good if you have a high tolerance level for nonsense. British Israelism makes little sense (although it is popular among white supremacists). But the article really jumps the shark in its final sentence:

"through Christ our Lord, who undoubtedly walked these lands in ancient days." :eek:

Well unless you have irrefutable evidence that He didn't actually walk those lands then the theory is open for debate at least. There is no record of Jesus' life between the ages of 12 and 30. And there is scriptural support that He wasn't in Judea. His absence is inferred by the comments which were made by His own hometown folk when He taught in their synagogues:

"Coming to his hometown, he began teaching the people in their synagogue, and they were amazed. "Where did this man get this wisdom and these miraculous powers?" Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't his mother's name Mary, and aren't his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas?" Matthew 13:54-55

Pretty strange questions to ask if they had daily contact with Him from an early age. The very question itself infers that He was away for quite a while before taking His ministry to His hometown.

So where did He go for 18 years? As the article shows there is a tradition which speaks of Him traveling to Britain with His uncle Joseph of Arimathea, who was a rich tin merchant, a Roman citizen and a member of the Sanhedrin. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that Joseph would have taken his nephew Jesus with Him to Britain on one or more of his business trips there. It is my belief that it was this same Joseph who took Him into the Temple where He astonished the teachers and doctors with His understanding. How else could a 12 year old kid get access to these academicians? Being the member of the Sanhedrin that he was I believe Joseph wanted to show Jesus off to them. Joseph knew He wasn't just an ordinary kid. It wasn't until after three days that His family found Him in the Temple. Who was He with for those three days? A stranger? I doubt it. He must have been with kinfolk and one which had access to the Temple's inner council.

The way I see it is this; unless you can show where He actually did go during this 18 year period and also show that the traditions which speak of His travels to England are somehow unfounded, then I don't see why we should reject the idea at all. Where did these traditions come from? How could they have come about without there being some germ of truth in them? To throw the idea out without even considering it as even a slight possibility is I feel is real jumping the shark.

Sorry miles off topic I know but if it can be established that there was an early Church in England not long after the resurection then that means that Britain was a Christian nation long before Roman Catholicism got there. Acts points out that all except the apostles were scattered after a great persecution broke out.

"On that day a great persecution broke out against the church at Jerusalem, and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria." Acts 8:1

Joseph of Arimathea was not an apostle but he was a follower of Jesus so he must have been amongst those who were scattered. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that he and the group that he was with might have moved from these ares to even safer havens? Other lands maybe? A land that he was already aquainted with through his business travels maybe? I know its speculative but it is possible.

Ooops double post sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Surely he's not lying in a cold stream for 40 days saying 15000 hail Marys (sic) the way the old Celtic Saints used to be doing... or letting birds nest in his hand while he meditates for the Spring ...
    I heard it. He seems to have invented a religion to suit his own preferences. It sounded like bog-standard pantheism with a bit of contemporary eco-cant added. There is certainly no suggestion that there is much penance or austerity involved. I think Saint Kevin would have drowned him in the lake at Glendalough.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

I'm not able to listen to the interview now but it does sound interesting... I think I can sort of see where he's coming from.

And yes, of course there was a Celtic church that was a bit distinct from the Roman one... it was brought to Britain in the first few centuries AD with the Roman empire but when they pulled out, it lost the means to connect with Rome.
    (it's a side note but: although not technically impossible, it doesn't seem feasable that Jesus went to the British Isles - in those days Britain was a long, long way away from Rome and Rome was a long, long way from Judea. And why would they have gone, anyway?)

The church in Britain (& later Ireland) had a different structure and unique influences from the Celtic paganism that was here before it (e.g. holy wells and other places and Anam Cara tradition. I think the idea of penitence was originally from here as well & later spread) but I wouldn't say it was a total dichotomy. But they all identified with each other as Christians.
    Distinct but very much connected and as Europe became more 'civilised' and travel became easier again they reconnected. In some ways the British church had older practices that the Roman church used to have but later changed - like the older way of calculating Easter that was still used by some in Britain. The Synod of Whitby to decide the date of Easter in 664 shows that there were different practices in Britain and the Roman church of the time but in the end they went with the Roman calculation of Easter.

But a lot of modern Celtic Christianity or Celtic Spirituality people seem to be making a lot of it up... they're about as historical as the wiccans.
    I haven't been able to listen to his interview so don't know what this guy is like but will do so later.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Piano man

For anyone who is interested, www.catholic.com is a great site to learn more about the Catholic faith and also about other denominations, it's worth a look:)
    God bless:)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

And a good link with a short overview of the History of the Celtic Church in Ireland (and elsewhere)

• Advertisement
Advertisement