Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entitled to anything while repeating?

Options
  • 07-01-2010 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

My situation means that I'm normally eligible for a full maintenance grant at the adjacent rate. However, I'm having to repeat the year and have taken out a loan to pay the fees (as it's my understanding that I'm not eligible to receive a grant for the same year twice).

I've been paying off the loan thanks to my job but hours have really dried up over the past few months and I look to be out of work for the next two months.

Are you entitled to claim any kind of benefit from the State while in full-time education or whilst outside semesters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Roro4Brit

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Any benefit is given to those who are available and genuinely seeking full time employment and if you are registered as a full time student then you can't be the former.

I have known a few people who have said they were claiming the dole between years in college like during the summer, but I've no idea how they managed to pull that one off.

If you end up in severe difficutly make sure you contact the students union or welfare officer in your college. There are funds set aside for students who encounter financial problems during the year. As far as I know it involves an application form, interview and a disclosure of all your finanaces...but if it gets you some badly needed cash then it will be worth it. Good luck

Advertisement