Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very very worried about Our Lady of Lourdes, Drogheda

Options
  • 07-01-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

Wife is registered with Lady of Lourdes Drogheda and 22 weeks term.

Yet again, the hospital is in the news with a report on last nights six-one news concerning a poor hygiene audit in the wake of their C-Diff outbreak.

She watched the report and freaked out. The hospital has been closed to non-patients since November and I'm even not allowed in to attend scans with her.

The question I'm asking is how possible is it to change hospital at this stage? I've no problem financially going private.

The whole thing is really starting to worry us both.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

The problem you may have with going private is that most consultants would be booked up for your wife's due date.

Maybe ask your doctor to write a referral letter to the hospital of your choice and get an appointment there? I'm not sure how easy it will be but voice your concerns to your GP. He'll probably initially try to reassure you, but if your wife is really unhappy then she needs to be looked after the way she wants.

Which hospital were you thinking of transferring care to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

As far as I know the outbreak of the C Diff was on a completely different ward and part of the hospital,

The maternity part is a newer part of the hospital and accessed seperately.

It is a hard prediciment.

As Adrienne said contact GP with regards to hospital change..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Which hospital were you thinking of transferring care to?
    I really don't know...the two nearest would be Daisy Hill Newry or the Rotunda.

Quality wrote: »
    As far as I know the outbreak of the C Diff was on a completely different ward and part of the hospital
    It was, but the whole hospital has been locked-down to non-patients since November.

The report on the news last night commented on mould on the window-sills of the maternity unit.

It was, but the whole hospital has been locked-down to non-patients since November.

The report on the news last night commented on mould on the window-sills of the maternity unit.

I know, I was in the hospital for a couple of nights with my child who was sick there in the middle of December.

I am sure that the cleaning has been stepped up, Standards will be higher than ever.

When is baby due?

• Advertisement

I am sure that the cleaning has been stepped up, Standards will be higher than ever.
    Not according to the six-one news last night.

Baby is due early May.

Not according to the six-one news last night.

Baby is due early May.

Ah May is nice time for baby.

You have plenty of time to change hospitals, If you are serious about it contact your GP.

Of course your mrs, only wants best for her and baby. It is not an unreasonable request.

Let us know how you get on! And best of luck with the new baby!:)

Let us know how you get on! And best of luck with the new baby!:)
    Many thanks for that - will call the GP in the morning.

I'm sure we're not the only ones with reservations about OLOL Drogheda right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I had my daughter in Our Lady of Lourdes. No complaints whatsoever. That was in 2006 though, I'm not sure about standards now but when I was there they were adequate.

These reports of mould on the sills of the maternity unit... well, if that is true it is unacceptable.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

OLOL was our nearest hospital and I decided agains't it as I would not have felt in any way comfortable attending the hospital there.
    Saying that I do know at least one person that has attended the hospital privately and been happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I really don't know...the two nearest would be Daisy Hill Newry or the Rotunda.

That's quite a trek. Is this your first? (it affects delivery time). We're in Skerries and using the Rotunda and I consider that a fairly hefty drive when you're under pressure.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you live on the train line Holles St is really handy.
    I work in the IFSC though so was also a really handy walk from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 859446

Hi I am living ten minsfrom drogheda but will not go to the lourdes. I am planning on going to daisy hill. It wouldnt even enter my mind to go to drogheda, and I have to say if I couldnt attend daisyhill I would go to the rotunda. I have been in daisy hill maternity b4 and they are lovely and no complaints at all

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

Hi,
    I'm also due early May and I am booked in to OLOL, I have been seeing all the news reports and I have to say that I have been seriously thinking of changing myself! We live in Laytown at the minute but we're thinking of moving to Enfield. If we stay in Laytown then what is the nearest hospital other than OLOL? and if we move to Enfield would anyone know where the closest hospital was?
    I broke my wrist in November and had been in OLOL several times during that time,the hospital was filthy and it really worried me.Then in December, when I was due my scan, my partner was not allowed in to see his baby moving about.The C Diff outbreak was still keeping the hospital closed after 8 weeks. Is it still closed to visitors?
    I am due an appointment Thursday and I may mention my concerns and alternative places to give birth. I would love a home birth but I am guessing that it won't be available to me.

Advertisement