Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elan Shares

Options
  • 07-01-2010 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Bought shares in Irish Elan back end of last year when they seemed like good value for money. They have since done quite well especially in the last number of days. I also invested in Elan in the US and they have done exceptionally well too.

Anyone got any views at present on how they think the shares will do this Year. I'm concerned about their drug Tysabri and their meeting on the 13th January. I'm Particularly interested to hear from people with a genuine interest in Elan or pharmaceuticals in general.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Buffy the bitch

There's already a thread on Elan just a few topics down.

I'm in them but gonna get my money out hopefully if they go to 5:30 which is the price I bought at. It's a very much up and down share.

Didn't they already pull Tysabri?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

This is what annoys me, you own some shares in Elan, or at least you say you do, and yet you don't know what the current status is regarding Tysabri? It's beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 digestive

Camordha,

Sorry if I annoyed you. That wasn't my intention to annoy anyone. I am aware of the drug Tysabri. My cousin is one of the patients that was using it.
    At what point did I suggest that I didn't know that status of the drug. I was merely simply appealing to people's views on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

He's talking to Buffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Camordha I presume you paid money to buy a car as some stage? And do you know the specifics of exactly how it works. This is what gets me - Its beyond me too

• Advertisement

If I buy a car it is not for investment purposes. Buying shares in a company and not understanding one of the company's most important products is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

If you buy a house its an investment. However i dont expect you to know the internal working of the central heating system. My point is if somebody asks a question have the manners to reply politely to him or her.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I agree on replying politely, but it's also beyond me. Re: elan and tysabri, if you don't know the current situation on it, recent clinical data / related success (and death figures) and prescription rates etc I wouldn't give the shares a second thought. You might as well play the lottery

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mikerockfield

No need for the argueing guys, how somebody chooses to invest is their business, most technical analysts just invest of what a chart tells them, most fundamentals invest of the balance sheet info, horses for courses and all that craic!!..
    Anyway back to the business at hand, another great rise in SP this week closing yesterday at 5.303, so its back above my initial entry point :D.
    im just wondering when the FY results will be released and what they might hold in store. I only have a small holding so will be selling if it goes much higher than this. Anybody got any reasonably idea what price this could reach over the coming months??:)

The update on the JC Virus tests seem to have quelled some fears about PML cases or at least show the company defending itself. I think it might veer towards its 1 year high or at least close.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sharenav

Elan is a pure punt so only invest what you can afford to lose.

"Elan is a pure punt so only invest what you can afford to lose."

Please elaborate on this precipitated statement.

For all Elan holders - it's time to slap this song on - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dLAv0NklTg

€7 has been breached, roll on €25.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Alibaba

Was going to invest in them a few weeks ago as I had a few already when they were circa E5.50 . Now theyre E8.20 . Would have made over 50% profit :confused:
    Guess, the difference between me and Warren Buffet. I wonder will they still continue to climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

Comordha wrote: »
    "Elan is a pure punt so only invest what you can afford to lose."

I presume he means it's a one trick pony as it's entirely reliant on Tysabiri - which might be great but is reliant on approval from the FDA. It's a company with high reward/risk profile
    Please elaborate on this precipitated statement.

please elaborate yourself!
    verb /priˈsipəˌtāt/  
    precipitated, past participle; precipitated, past tense; precipitates, 3rd person singular present; precipitating, present participle

Cause (an event or situation, typically one that is bad or undesirable) to happen suddenly, unexpectedly, or prematurely
    - the incident precipitated a political crisis

Cause to move suddenly and with force
    - suddenly the ladder broke, precipitating them down into a heap

Send someone or something suddenly into a particular state or condition
    - they were precipitated into a conflict for which they were quite unprepared

Cause (a substance) to be deposited in solid form from a solution

Cause (drops of moisture or particles of dust) to be deposited from the atmosphere or from a

adj. (-tt), Acting with or marked by excessive haste and lack of due deliberation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 tiddlerz

so Comordha, whats you advice on elan shares?
    do you think they can continue upwards?
    at what price would you consider selling??
    many thanks

Advertisement