Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone had an elective C-section Mount Carmel?

Options
  • 07-01-2010 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Hi, firstimer and have decided to opt for a planned c-section in Mt Carmel hosp. Not a decision I've come to lightly, have done lots of research on both this and vag birth and really feel c-section is the best for both me and baby as there are too many scary unknowns and potential complications surrounding vag. Know that c-section is no walk in the park either but feel the more controlled aspect of it is something I can cope better with. Consultant seems OK with it.

Have read lots of threads here about c-section and it seems there are huge differences in experience between emergency and elective (self-chosen) procedures.
    If anyone here chose to have an elective c-section under private care, I would be so grateful if you could give me a step-by-step indication of what to expect ie. when in relation to your due date was it scheduled, what happened when you arrived at the hospital and timescales from there on in to the op and afterwards.
    I know there is a catether inserted, how is this done and when? And how long are you in theatre for?
    I know that everyone's experiences can be different but would really love to get some idea of what to expect as can't get my head past delivery at the mo, and want to start looking forward to having my baby, which is of course the big reward!
    Thanks in advance.
    [/COLOR]
    [/FONT]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

Hiya, can't help with your question but would like to recommend you get hold of something like the Gentlebirth program. Like you, I was fixated on the prospect of labour until I started doing these relaxation/hypnobirth cds. I ended up with a normal birth, but there are parts of the program designed for mums to be who will be having a c-section too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

sk123 wrote: »
    there are too many scary unknowns and potential complications surrounding vag.
    In general, or just in your particular case?

We initially looked at Mt. Carmel and decided against it after talking to a nurse friend of mine. If something goes badly wrong there you'll most likely end up in the Rotunda or Holles St anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

DublinWriter, the myths of having to transfer hospital if something has gone wrong have been tackled greatly. Mount Carmel only transfer care if baby is born before 32 weeks as they don't have a NICU only a SCBU or there are reasons during pregnancy for care to be transferred.

I had an emergency c section so I can't give you estimations but I hope to have an elective c section this time around for many reasons and I am due my baby in approx 7 weeks so I can let you know then!

There is another poster here who choose an elective section on her first baby. Hopefully she'll come along soon and fill you in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sk123

Thanks for your replies - as mentioned have already done countless amounts of research and having examined all the options, am happy with choice of hospital and consultant as well as decision. Just hoping that someone with experience of this might be able to share their own experience. Good luck with yours and thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

adrieanne__x, I thounght that if you'd had a c-section for your first child it was mandatory for the seccond? My wife had a C and is expecting our second in the summer, but that is what we were told first time around in New Zealand. Maybe it's different here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

dmaxontour wrote: »
    adrieanne__x, I thounght that if you'd had a c-section for your first child it was mandatory for the seccond? My wife had a C and is expecting our second in the summer, but that is what we were told first time around in New Zealand. Maybe it's different here?

dmaxontour - if mum and baby are well VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) is recommended as it has less health risks than a planned cesarean.

The WHO published a study this week looking at planned cesareans.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/60-second-science/post.cfm?id=elective-cesarean-sections-are-too-2010-01-11&sc=HLTH_20100112

Tracy

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭dmaxontour

Thanks for the link SanFran. My wife's concern now is only the size of the baby. The first was 10pound 1. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭charlieroot

dmaxontour wrote: »

The policy in Ireland (or in the few hospitals I've been in) is that vaginal delivery after 2 CS's is not recommended. The stats are that about 60-80% of women have a successful vaginal delivery after 1 CS (assuming the mother is well and there are no complications or indications for operative delivery). I believe previously that the policy was that after 1 CS that you were stuck with CS (at least that was the opinion given by Obstetricians). This policy has changed due to updated research and statistics as well as a change to the type of surgery performed for a CS.

Advertisement