Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSJ, kitchen and other works

Options
  • 07-01-2010 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Hi, Our house has a kitchen that is an extension that the last owners built extending off the back corner of the house. They built it so the sun is held off the back of our house (ie it blocks the south direction, back garden aims east).
    We have decided to do something about this horrible freezing kitchen that extends off the main house that blocks our light.
    The original idea was to extend part of the back of the house to give a sunroom kitchen diner area. However this is too expensive (quotes were obtained).

What we now want to do is take our existing dining room, extend it into our other back room 600mm and put a kitchen diner into the present dining room. (small amount off another room but enables us to put a good size kitchen L shaped with an island. Otherwise very cramped kitchen.)

The existing dining room was originally two rooms (bungalow with lots of small rooms) and has an RSJ in the middle perpendicular to the back of the house. The room to extend into is a suppot wall so an RSJ will need to be erected here also.

The back wall of the kitchen diner will be 7 metres accross in total and I am also hoping to put Bi-fold doors along 16 foot of this (Vu-Fold). However there is an existing RSJ into the middle of that wall and I am not sure if it is possible to place another RSJ perpendicular to this to support the 7 metre wall. I was wondering is it possible to place a vertical steel support and attach the RSJ's off that. Perhaps it is possible to bolt the old RSJ to a new one?

So the questions I was hoping people might be able to give some advice , ideas on , and suggest who I could contact for quotes are:
    1: Is this possible with RSJ's and any suggestions on other ideas and who to get advice and quotes from?
    2: Vu-Fold doors have a U-Value of 1.9, is that OK?
    3: Has anyone any experience with underfloor heating as we intend to tile the whole room. I believe there is an electrical heating mesh that can be placed under the new floor. Is this effective, efficient and of reasonable cost? This is only to supplement the central heating and take the chill off the floor.
    4: Monies are a big issue and if I contract a builder would they be generally happy for me to do lots of the labouring to minimise costs. For example knocking the existing kitchen and removing the rubble? Does anyone have any suggestions of builders that could help with this project.
    5: Obviously all the services for and a kitchen needs to also be placed and I have started to get quotes for this but with all the building works they need to be done first. Is it best to get a kitchen fitter to fit the kitchen or are general builders up to this? I ask as the more contracters involved the more likely it is that the ownership for a part of the project falls between two parties.

Thanks, Work

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Firstly you should give your location.

Do you know any good builders that you trust? You need someone to survey the site to check it out, measure the size of the steal work etc.

Underfloor heating is nice ye. The cost will depend on the size of the floor area. You can get under floor heating that works from your central heating boiler, used for big areas normally, but for some areas the electrical type is more practical. Again don't know how big the area is, but you could spend a thousand on it easy enough. If you get your square area, a supplies will quote you a price for the mat, stat's and bits and pieces.

A builder would probably have their own kitchen contacts. In a lot of cases, the house owner would just order the kitchen, nothing to do with the builder, but the builder gets all the service ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Davy wrote: »
    Firstly you should give your location.

Do you know any good builders that you trust? You need someone to survey the site to check it out, measure the size of the steal work etc.

Underfloor heating is nice ye. The cost will depend on the size of the floor area. You can get under floor heating that works from your central heating boiler, used for big areas normally, but for some areas the electrical type is more practical. Again don't know how big the area is, but you could spend a thousand on it easy enough. If you get your square area, a supplies will quote you a price for the mat, stat's and bits and pieces.

A builder would probably have their own kitchen contacts. In a lot of cases, the house owner would just order the kitchen, nothing to do with the builder, but the builder gets all the service ready.

Thanks Davy,
    Thats some good advice. The room will be approx 20 metres square. I think the big problem for me is finding a builder to trust. We have been in our house 3 years and have had work done by various builders and quotes from various builders. So far our experience has been shocking:

Builder 1: After a few quotes seemed the most professional. Did various jobs including dry lining and tiling. It took him three attempts to fit some kitchen top. Broke a load of ceiling coving then just stuck it back all crooked.
    Basically a moron.
    More recently I have started dry lining walls myself, easy, inexpensive and a much better job. I have no experience in the building industry, have no problem working, but want good work so prefer to get professional help for the non labouring parts.

Builder 2: Increased his quote by €6000 to dry line 2 walls. Long live the tiger. Obviously praying on people that know no better.

Builder 3: Again did various jobs. Fairly capable, things done his way and very dirty. Cost almost 200% his estimate. Will not be getting him back. This was also a personal recommendation.

Davy sorry for the long reply but are there any honest builders and would you suggest a way to get one because so far we have only come accross robbers, charlatans and incompentents?
    Thanks, Work

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Course their is some decent ones. The boom didn't help things as everyone was on the band wagon.

You never said what are of the country you are based.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Davy wrote: »
    Course their is some decent ones. The boom didn't help things as everyone was on the band wagon.

You never said what are of the country you are based.

Apologies. Location is Blackrock, Dublin
    Thanks, Work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

hi,
    we coverted our kitchen and dining room into one large open plan kitchen, which involved the instillation of an RSJ, removal and moving of two radiators to a different wall, tiling and plastering of floors, ceiling and walls. VERY happy with the builders that carried out the work and they were extremely reasonable and courtious. if you want their contact pm me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement