Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnification Question

Options
  • 06-01-2010 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Hey all, [by the way I've read the 'Observing tips for beginners' thread]
    I bought a Celestron Astromaster 130 EQ telescope recently, and have observed the moon, and tonight viewed Mars. I was using a 10mm eyepiece, and it only appeared as a small bright orange-red dot.
    Should I get a 4mm eyepiece for viewing other planets like Saturn and Venus?
    Also, is the telescope I bought a decent one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭backboiler

Telescope is 130 mm objective with 650 mm focal length (so f/5). 4 mm lens will give 650/4 magnification, about 160x. Usual guide is not to exceed magnification of twice the objective diameter in mm, so 260x in your case. You should be well within limits on the light-gathering side of things.
    The thing about the 4 mm eyepiece is that it's very hard to get the focus spot on (even small adjustment of focus knob causes movement that is significant compared to 4 mm focal length). Also it's fairly difficult to line up your eye with the tiny aperture of a 4mm eyepiece.

That said I've used a 4 mm on a 102 mm f/10 (well beyond recommended limit) to view Jupiter and moons.

So personally I wouldn't spend a lot on a 4 mm eyepiece but if you could pick a half-decent one up cheaply then it would be handy to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

A 2x barlow lens would double the magnification on your 10mm eyepiece to 130x giving you the same aperture.

A 3x barlow would give you 195x magnification. And barlows tend to be cheaper than eyepieces too.

Advertisement