Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Screen - Dell Inspiron 1501

Options
  • 06-01-2010 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭

Got this laptop for free from a mate (cos its broke)

Its a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. It loads up and after i input the password it shuts down. It shows a blue screen with loads of text on it and then restarts.

The laptop is running vista, apart from that i'm unsure of the spec as it wasn't mine when it was running...

I tried re-installing the vista upgrade disc but i don't have the code for it any more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The blue screen provides information as to what the problem may be. Take a note of the number/error.
    The license key should be on a sticker on the laptop. Get an OEM CD and reinstall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

BSOD again.

Usually associated with a hardware conflict or fault. Try reseating / replacing the ram moduels, sometimes works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Sorry for the delay. The disc i have isn't the one that came with the laptop, its an upgrade disc sent months after it was bought, so the code sticker doesn't match the disc. (the original is lost)

The blue screen doesn't have any code on it apart from a really long one (i can't get it cos it disappears too quick) but there is a file code mentioned "atikamdag.sys" error.

I managed to get it to work on safe mode with networking. I deleted a lot of files to free up space (was almost up to capacity), when i got to safe mode i tried to restore without the code but it said the disc didn't have the correct information or something

any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

BSOD again.

Usually associated with a hardware conflict or fault. Try reseating / replacing the ram moduels, sometimes works.

i'm sorry, i don't know what this means? :confused:

Advertisement