Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scratches on Windscreen

Options
  • 06-01-2010 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Anybody know how to remove scratches from windscreen. I removed packed ice on my windscreen today with a tennis racket and it left scratches. I cannot feel the scratch so it has not dug in but nothing seems to remove them.

BTW please dont tell me i'm an awful feckin eejit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You should be able to get them out but best leave it to a pro so you don't make it worse. There are some ways to do it if you google but do also take it to someone local who does car glass and just ask for an opinion or quote.
    They might give you a great tip for nothing.

Buy a plastic scraper in any garage for a few Euro, good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

When you buy a freezer there is usually a scraper included..... use that for your car if your ever stuck its better than a tennis racket at least. or buy one in tesco for 99c.

As for the scratches I dont know...

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

Pure Top wrote: »
    Anybody know how to remove scratches from windscreen. I removed packed ice on my windscreen today with a tennis racket and it left scratches. I cannot feel the scratch so it has not dug in but nothing seems to remove them.

your an awfull fecken eeeeeeejit :oi turn on engine to warm up the car in cold mornings. no need to scratch anything and im a BLONDE.

blond45 wrote: »
    your an awfull fecken eeeeeeejit :oi turn on engine to warm up the car in cold mornings. no need to scratch anything and im a BLONDE.

99.9% of the time thats fine i do it myself at times but I have heard of cases where heaters on full blast internally and freezing temp outside = cracked screen. Bit of cold or luke warm water at very most poured on ice and put internal heaters on low and its job job.....

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

zziplex wrote: »
    99.9% of the time thats fine i do it myself at times but I have heard of cases where heaters on full blast internally and freezing temp outside = cracked screen.
    This has happened to aircraft cockpit windscreens at 40,000 feet - never ever heard of this happening to car windscreen afaik...
    Bit of cold or luke warm water at very most poured on ice and put internal heaters on low and its job job.....
    Now this I HAVE heard of causing cracked windscreens, as well as frozen windscreen washer jets, internal gubbins, etc etc. (the lukewarm or supposedly "lukewarm" water that is...).

Back on-topic though, what about that windscreen crack repair service that your man from Autoglass ad on the telly went on about recently - overkill for a scratch, maybe?

• Advertisement

This has happened to aircraft cockpit windscreens at 40,000 feet - never ever heard of this happening to car windscreen afaik...

Ok

Now this I HAVE heard of causing cracked windscreens, as well as frozen windscreen washer jets, internal gubbins, etc etc. (the lukewarm or supposedly "lukewarm" water that is...).

Back on-topic though, what about that windscreen crack repair service that your man from Autoglass ad on the telly went on about recently - overkill for a scratch, maybe?

Thats why I made a point of saying cold... "lukewarm at the very most"

Below is a link in relation too the windscreen shattering with heat. Not quite the same as I was talking about but along the same lines so to speak.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055788270

Thats why I made a point of saying cold... "lukewarm at the very most"
    Indeed you did and all credit to you for that.

Problem is however that what's "lukewarm at most" to you and me may not be quite lukewarm to, say, an Arab! Or how about the poor eejit who thought thought that the kettle could only have been on for a minute at most... It's definitely happened!

Proper scraper and demister on full, and/or deicer atw.

Below is a link in relation too the windscreen shattering with heat. Not quite the same as I was talking about but along the same lines so to speak.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055788270
    That is bizarre. Seems the heating elements might have caused sudden & uneven heat distribution. A blowing current of gradually warming air would have a far more even heat distribution & effect.

op try one of those guys from allied irish windscreens they should help or suggest what you should do.

Agree with you using a kettle is a big no no....just tap water(cold is fine)
    Also the bizzare thing is not as bizzare as you may think it does happen the "odd" time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

Pure Top wrote: »

I suspect what you see are not scratches but rather streaks of tennis racket material deposited on your glass. Try cleaning it off (test area first) using one of those plastic pot scourers & fairy or WD40.

do a test area first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wow, I lived in a subzero region for many years and never ever heard of anyone getting a cracked windscreen from the heaters.
    And we're talking -15/20, not a few degrees below 0 like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

...for ANYTHING else, there's Mastercard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

...for ANYTHING else, there's Mastercard.

+1

Nothing beats the old vhi membership card!!!

Advertisement