Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping in Cork

Options
  • 27-11-2004 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi,

I'll be descending on Cork a few days before Christmas, hopefully with present-money, and am wondering where to shop, especially for books, clothes and general stuff. Any charity shops or new age stores or unusual shops worth visiting?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Books has to be Reads a few doors up from Easons,looks like a normal shop but ten times cheaper,also try Vibes and Scribes some 2nd hand&new stuff.
    Cool shops,guess Tenko by the Art gallery and rocket further down(back of mcdonalds)

Clothes what type,nice surfer clothes and trendy stuff-Tubes nxt to Tenko also called Mathews 10% student discount,mmmm..... couple more around the corner where warehouse used be (IM OLD SCHOOL)
    Also try Prime-time on Washington street.

But for more on the clothes front please specify

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

Clothes front - I'm a girl and skint, and Penneys goes without saying :) That's the only requirement - clothes must be cheap and vaguely girl-shaped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 sugarboobs

moonshines a preety good shop... thats kinda gothy stuff... its not far from the art gallery... im new to the town so i dont no the names of many... just wonder down side streets and your bound to find something!!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭iceman_2001_ie

If you have access to a car, go to Midleton and do your shopping there.
    I did it for the last two Christmases and had no problem getting parking and plenty to shops for loads of stuff - small "Tenko" type gifts (which are fairly naff, frankly) - electronics stores - music - and a really good selection of shops for clothes - book stores too ).There is also a small crafts shop which has some really nice stuff, I think its upstairs from the Gallery restaurant.

Second hand book shops in Cork include,
    "Vibes and Scribes" on Bridge St., which is UNBEATABLE for cheapness, and their second hand books section is really good
    "Uneeda Bookshop" on Oliver Plunkett st.,
    "The Shelf" on George's Quay,
    there are a few charity shops on North main street with have a small selection of books too

IF you DON'T have a car, treat yourself and buy one for Christmas.
    Give people presents of free taxi rides home over the holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I second the "Vibes and Scribes" recommendation. I always go in there if I'm down in cork shopping, even if I'm not out to buy anything in there :)

Mercier Bookstore is another good place too.

AND, if your into it, "The Other Realms" - look for it upstairs over Tesco in Paul Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Mercier Bookstore is another good place too.

I thought it closed down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Clothes:

z13 and Moonshine in Paul St. Shopping Centre.

There are also a few other good shops in French Church St. and the little lanes around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

deRanged wrote:
    I thought it closed down?

was it ? well **** :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

yeah I'm sure it is closed.. for shopping try going into the little arcade off Patrick St. there's a cute little shop in there on the left before the English Market.. sells lots of little arty 'n crafty thingies.. nice to look at even if u can't buy em!

for clothes.. bit 'spensive but try the skater shop beside Vibes 'n Scribes .. can't remember the name of it but it's quite good!

am.. other than that I can't remember.. I ususally end up buyin stuff in the main retail blah de blah shops which are in every big town / city!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Cork_girl wrote:

for clothes.. bit 'spensive but try the skater shop beside Vibes 'n Scribes .. can't remember the name of it but it's quite good!

thats called incide and its a surf shop, nice stuff in there alright, good sales too.

i also recommend Vibes and Scribes, great shop got a little bit of everything! picked up Street Fighter II Turbo, for the snes for less than a tenner in there the other day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Well theres:

Clothes Shops:
    The Moderne - Great shop for clothes.
    Swamp
    Gasoline
    Japan Fashions
    Libaas
    Crisis
    Extrovert
    Marks & Spencer
    Dunnes
    Pennys
    Roches
    Brown Thomas
    Champion Sports
    Lifestyle Sports

and loads more cant think of em all

Music Stores:
    Goldendiscs
    HMV

Toy stores:
    Smiths

I'll post up more if i think of em! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I like just going in to Joyces and looking about at the weird wooden toys and stuff that they are selling. I think the name of the street is Princes St, i just remember it as being opposite Nash 19 and next to that Art Supply Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

pinochio's (sp?)

mick_irl wrote:
    pinochio's (sp?)
    that's the teddy bear hospital :D:p

D-Generate wrote:
    I like just going in to Joyces and looking about at the weird wooden toys and stuff that they are selling. I think the name of the street is Princes St, i just remember it as being opposite Nash 19 and next to that Art Supply Shop.
    my fave shop in Cork love browsing. soooo cool!

Cheers guys, sounds like I'll need lots of time and cash :) Oh well, I'm sure I'll cope :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, I know, mega late and so on, but:

Get yer arse to Hanover Place (just off washington street, round the corner from the dole office) and check out Funky Skunk. It has tie-dyed tshirts, which of itself should earn the owner a medal made of cheese. Plus hoodies, band tshirts, and other assorted cool stuff. Plus the owner talks about weed at every available opportunity. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

sounds like just the kinda shop cork needs, apart from that MMAD place!

Thats one to visit too MMAD on North Main Street :D

Ill pop into Funky Skunk on my way to college tomorrow check it out sounds cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

You can go to the following places if you like, you'll find them hideously expensive though. Eason's on Patrick's St, all those skate shops like Tubes, Incide and Primetime and of course, Brown Thomas.

Still taking suggestions until December 22nd - thanks for all your help so far guys! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Um for books, I'd recommend either Waterstones (specifically the 3 for 2's) or Vibes and Scribes. For clothes, I won't advise since I've no idea where to get nice clothes for women! For random cool stuff (but quite expensive) try Other Realms in the Paul Street Shopping Centre.

Hope some of thats a help, I'm not really thinking too straight tonight so my advice it a bit off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MissS

What Cork needs is a H&M

Fabulious fasionable new clothes for nothing!! I want H&mmmmmmm NOWWWW

http://www.hm.com/ie/hm/store/store_concept.jsp

Advertisement