Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass link Corridor

Options
  • 06-01-2010 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Evening all,

I'm in the process of preparing drawings for my new build which will have a glass link corridoor between an older style type building and a more modern structure that runs alongside. I was wondering if anyone out there has put one in and if so how has it worked out for ye both pricewise and heating wise?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was wondering if anyone out there has put one in and if so how has it worked out for ye both pricewise and heating wise?

Cheers

Price will vary a lot depending on level of finish and how it joins both buildings, but in terms of heating, It would be best to have it thermally separated from the other buildings, this means external type doors at both ends

• Registered Users Posts: 26 wetdufflecoats

Mellor wrote: »
    Price will vary a lot depending on level of finish and how it joins both buildings, but in terms of heating, It would be best to have it thermally separated from the other buildings, this means external type doors at both ends

Thanks for that Mellor....do you have any idea on supplier of this type of link corridor as it seems like its an unusual use of glass??

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭icbarros

Not that unusual, it works a bit like a curtain wall.
    If you have a chance you should visit Monart Spa, Enniscorthy designed by Stephen Carr. They have a glass corridor connecting the old house to the new building. You may find some photos in their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

do you have any idea on supplier of this type of link corridor as it seems like its an unusual use of glass??

This feature has become very very common in the last decade. Glass technology is evident in balustrades, glass floors and staircases in many shopping centres, airports, smoking rooms etc. There are a few excellent glass suppliers / manufacturers in Ireland. Google will help or PM for details.

Creating a link will be designed and detailed fully by your Designer (Arch Tech or Architect)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

regarding planning I had trouble with Carlow CC getting permission for a glass link corridor. Gave up in the end and changed the design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 wetdufflecoats

davidoco wrote: »
    regarding planning I had trouble with Carlow CC getting permission for a glass link corridor. Gave up in the end and changed the design.
    What was the problem the planners had with the glass link corridoor??

Advertisement