Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Carpet

Options
  • 06-01-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

I'm having trouble getting Carpet businesses (2 so far) into laying the carpet in my home because I have a stairlift that is attached to the stairs itself:

BILD1006.jpg

They all say they can lay the carpet, but as soon as they see the stairlift they say no. I just wanted them to work around it (they can easily cover the metal stands)

The stairlift cannot be lifted or moved out of position as it is balanced and calibrated to that position.

I was also thinking of alternatives, such as Adhesive Carpet tiles, but no nothing at all about them, such as how to lay them and do they need to be glued.

So if anyone raeding this knows of any solutions, please let me know.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

What part of the world you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

meercat wrote: »
    What part of the world you in?

Waterford, Ireland

Sorry in Dublin. Can't help you. Should be able to get someone local. It's not that tricky. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sarahjll

Dear friend,

I think you only need buy carpet tiles to lay them on your stairs, and you could cut them by yourself with cutter. Then you could buy some general glue used for carpet and lay them by yourself. I think you could solve this problem.

Because we are manufacturer in China, so I cannot help you hand by hand.

Best wishes for you!
    Sarah Jiang

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

I dont know much about carpets but i am a carpenter and I dont see what the big deal is? Its the same as a carpet fitter notching around say a door frame,newel post, old style rads etc etc? :rolleyes:

Find a "proper" carpet fitter I dont see the fuss is it can be done......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 be0wulf

I'm an ex carpet fitter and despite what people are telling you this would be tricky but not impossible, it would take some time and lots of joining and gluing it would also take away the life span of the carpet. The one big fear most fitters would have would be the carpet tearing as they tried to bloster from step to step as stair carpet needs to be tucked into each step using grippers and a cut on each step would mean an uneven pull on the carpet, have you considered a felt-back(glue down) carpet and stir nosings? this would be a good alternative but slightly more expensive...good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

thanks for all the replies and ideas, they helped.

I finally got a Carpet fitter to do it; O' Toole Carpets, Morrisons rd Waterford, the owner himself did it:

BILD1041.jpg

It took about an hour and he managed to put underlay as well, i'm very happy with the finished result.

Looks good.worth doing right.

Advertisement