Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do the govt really want ppl to return to education

Options
  • 06-01-2010 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

I hear a lot of politicians talking about lads like myself that got caught up in the construction bubble need to re-skill or go back to uni/college.
    Great in theory, but why do i have to be unemployed for at least 9-12 months, so i can be financed to go back to college with BTEA.
    why cant i work if i can get a bit of work between now and sept and still get the BTEA,
    Makes no sense, I wouldn't be able go to college if i didn't get that all important E200 a week, who the hell would...
    I'm now being forced to leave my job next week, in the hope ill be able receive this payment (which is now minus the grant ) next September,
    I really want to go back to college, but they are not making it easy, so why tell people we'll fix the country when we re-educate our tradesmen etc
    but they cant go back and re-educate unless they don't work for the bones of a year which wont happen, you'll always get bits and bobs to do.....boils my blood

whats better having people sit at home on the dole,
    or sitting in a lecture hall on the dole

sorry just wanted to vent a bit of frustration,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

BOBBY wrote: »
    I hear a lot of politicians talking about lads like myself that got caught up in the construction bubble need to re-skill or go back to uni/college.
    Great in theory, but why do i have to be unemployed for at least 9-12 months, so i can be financed to go back to college with BTEA.
    why cant i work if i can get a bit of work between now and sept and still get the BTEA,
    Makes no sense, I wouldn't be able go to college if i didn't get that all important E200 a week, who the hell would...
    I'm now being forced to leave my job next week, in the hope ill be able receive this payment (which is now minus the grant ) next September,
    I really want to go back to college, but they are not making it easy, so why tell people we'll fix the country when we re-educate our tradesmen etc
    but they cant go back and re-educate unless they don't work for the bones of a year which wont happen, you'll always get bits and bobs to do.....boils my blood

whats better having people sit at home on the dole,
    or sitting in a lecture hall on the dole

sorry just wanted to vent a bit of frustration,

I understand where you are coming from. However, you need to decided if you personally would be better sitting at home or in a lecture hall. Think of the long term benefits.

Many people who return to full time education have left jobs or their career to return to education. They need to make changes to their way of life, as it is a big step.

Most people who need money in college work part time. I have financial commitments, and I do not receive the BETA grant, so I work part time at the weekend to finance my chosen lifestyle.

Best of luck

IKOS

Advertisement