Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation - which type to use

Options
  • 06-01-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking to upgrade the level of insulation in the attic.
    House was built about 4 years ago and level of insulation is quiet poor - if only i was a bit more clued in back then...

Anyway, the space from the ceeling slab to the top of the joist is 7 inches.
    I plan on flooring the attic over time so i need to maximise this 7 inches of space with insulation.

What are the best products out there on the market?

Should i go with an foilback foam insulation slab type material that cut to shape and placed between the joists or some type of high performance rockwool/fiberglass?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

There are lots of threads on this subject.
    Fibre glass is the cheapest & most common, Rockwool is less irritating & easier to use, then Kingspan / Xthratherm type foil backed boards.

If you plan to use foil backed board, use 50 or 60mm thick to make up 175mm depth, as thin boards are easier to cut (circular saw or hand saw if you have a good eye!)

Be careful with regards to condensation forming.
    You might consider building a storage deck & istalling 300mm thick fibre glass. See other threads....

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

*&* have a great deal on 200mm fiberglass at the moment 2 for 1
    probably not top quality, but you wont get anything near that for the price.

Advertisement