Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Application Forms - UCD

Options
  • 06-01-2010 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I have the application form for Trinity & DCU for mature applicants but I can't seem to find any information about UCD's one. It says just to send references & personal statement to CAO. Is there no seperate application form?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

Is there no seperate application form?
    Nope, not for UCD

What documents do you need to post to the CAO? photocopies of leaving cert/junior cert and birthcert? to they want photocopy of passport or photo ID?

And what are they on about when they say certified copy of exam results, will a photocopy not do?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    What documents do you need to post to the CAO? photocopies of leaving cert/junior cert and birthcert? to they want photocopy of passport or photo ID?

And what are they on about when they say certified copy of exam results, will a photocopy not do?

You should send all relevant documents, certificates from past courses night/part time, references and maybe your CV.

You can get your school to certify leaving certificate results as far as I know, just ask them to stamp the copy. You can also ask the Garda to certify documents, your parish priest or bank manager. I am not sure how strict CAO are on this.

best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

IKOS wrote: »
    You can also ask the Garda to certify documents

Ooh! I didn't know that.. which will come in handy for myself since I left school a long time ago and well I wasn't going to chance sending my certs to my school (in the UK) to get certified - so thanks for the tip! :)

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew for the CAO application if we had to make any duplicates at all? (I know for TCD you have to have duplicates depending on how many courses you are applying for) - I was going to ring CAO tomorrow just in case to find out, but thought I'd ask here while I was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭IKOS

December wrote: »
    Ooh! I didn't know that.. which will come in handy for myself since I left school a long time ago and well I wasn't going to chance sending my certs to my school (in the UK) to get certified - so thanks for the tip! :)

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew for the CAO application if we had to make any duplicates at all? (I know for TCD you have to have duplicates depending on how many courses you are applying for) - I was going to ring CAO tomorrow just in case to find out, but thought I'd ask here while I was on.

No problem.

In relation to the number of copies for CAO I believe one should be sufficient as they scan and send electronically (not 100% sure, just heard this) your file to the admissions office of the colleges you applied to. Just double check though to be sure. There is CAOMan on here and he works for CAO, if you can find him and send him a private he maybe able to clarify that.

Well best of luck with the rest of your application!

• Advertisement

I know for TCD you have to have duplicates
    What do you mean ? you need to send photocopies of the supplementary application? how many do they require?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dzoni

I did my Leaving a long time ago and dont have the cert. anymore .... no idea where it could be. Can I get a replacement somewhere?
    The CAO wants a LCE number! What the hell is that?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Dzoni wrote: »
    I did my Leaving a long time ago and dont have the cert. anymore .... no idea where it could be. Can I get a replacement somewhere?
    The CAO wants a LCE number! What the hell is that?
    Thanks!

LCE: Leaving Cert Exam Number I think. It was your ID when you sat the Leaving.
    You can get your old numbers from the State Exam Commission afaik. Tel: 090 6642808 / 6642809

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    What do you mean ? you need to send photocopies of the supplementary application? how many do they require?

Afaik, as many copies of the application as courses in TCD you are applying for. You can contact the Mature Student Office to check though: 01- 896 1386 or email mature.student.officer@tcd.ie
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Laydee wrote: »
    I have the application form for Trinity & DCU for mature applicants but I can't seem to find any information about UCD's one. It says just to send references & personal statement to CAO. Is there no seperate application form?

No separate forms but they tell you want documents to include in your application - CV, personal statement, 3 references etc. Mark each page/photocopy with your name on the top and also your CAO number in case things go missing.
    paperclip2 wrote: »
    Afaik, as many copies of the application as courses in TCD you are applying for. You can contact the Mature Student Office to check though: 01- 896 1386 or email mature.student.officer@tcd.ie
    :)

Yeah, I applied for 4 courses in TCD and I sent off a book nearly with the amount of photocopies and application forms. Pain in the ass but it has to be done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 buzzer21

No separate forms but they tell you want documents to include in your application - CV, personal statement, 3 references etc. Mark each page/photocopy with your name on the top and also your CAO number in case things go missing.

I am also applying to UCD as a mature student. I don't understand exactly what's required; the personal statement for UCD is sent as a document to the CAO but is it separate from the personal statement on the CAO application form or are they one and the same? I mean do you have to send 2 statements to the CAO when applying to UCD and if so why (they're both going to contain the same info)? I know that Trinity and NUI Maynooth have their own supplementary forms to... supplement the CAO application but they will more specific about the actual courses I'm applying for; that's why I'm confused about the UCD one. I'm applying for arts degrees btw so I don't have to supply references, I think.

Also, I'm not sure if I should bother sending a CV or filling out the employment section of the application because since doing my LC in 2005 I have worked as a airport baggage-handler and a pizza delivery boy and neither are really relevant to psychology and linguistics. Should I just fill in the employment section anyway so as they know what I've been doing for the last few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Fill out everything or as much as you are able. I am sure that you can find relevance if you look hard enough, for example baggage handler shows that you could have good teamwork etc. That could be relevant as your course could involve group projects etc. As regards writing the personal statement you just write the one and send it to the CAO. DCU have a mature student form also and ask you for a statement. I had already wrote my statement reflecting the No.1 course choice which was for DCU so what I done was emailed the head of the course in DCU and explained it to him that my CAO statement was focused on my first choice in DCU so he recommended in that case I attach a copy of my statement to the DCU mature application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'd definitely send in a CV as the college WILL want to know what you have been doing since leaving school. I posted in another thread saying something like "This application is you giving the college your reasons for wanting to go back to college. They have to see the whole person. Why you want to go to college, what you have been doing since school, what type of person you are". You have to show them through you application how much you want this course and where you've come from before to get to this stage in your life.

You can always link some parts of employment in with college work - team work, communication, working to deadlines, even stamina!!

You only need one personal statement as it all gets sent to the CAO. Make sure to mark it Personal Statement, with your name and CAO number.

Advertisement