Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mains water supply in to house

Options
  • 06-01-2010 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

what are the regs (if any) reguarding the laying of the mains water supply pipe in a domistic house?? (from the mains at the road to under the sink)

ie
    depth under ground
    size of pipe

cheers

james

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,933 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Normally a half inch pipe and laid about 18 - 24 inches below ground level.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

As muffler said above. The pipe commonly used is heavy gague hydradare(LDPE) it has a 1/2" core and a 3/4" external so on heavy gague you need to use 3/4" fittings. On light gage you need to use polyadaptors so best stay away from it.

If your laying around cities its best to check the regs as there is a push lately towards the blue (MDPE) The difference between both is the black hydradare is imperial and the blue metric. No matter what a plumber tells you it will be a bitch to squeeze an imperial fitting directly onto the blue. A company called philmac(based in ireland and available through heatmerchancts amounst others) produce a lovely fitting for this blue pipe. They also produce a conversion kit to bring metric into imperial etc.

The blue pipe is prob the best way to go tbh as in the next few years we WILL ALL have water meters and of course the connections on the water meters are metric. So it would be my opinion that blue pipe is the way to go.

Lastly. My own opinion would be to lay this pipe as deep as possible. There has been a lot of mains freezing the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

I layed mine last year, used the aforementioned hydradare and the council used the same as they had to replace next door's because I was changing mine.
    Don't quote me on the regs but I kept mine down 450mm and the council guys did the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Lastly. My own opinion would be to lay this pipe as deep as possible. There has been a lot of mains freezing the past few weeks.

I agree 100%, check local bye-laws but as close to 900mm as possible to prevent freezing.
    Lots of new threads lately, here & DIY forum on frozen water pipes!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

use 3/4 inch if you can! other than that is is 1/2 inch. But I believe 3/4 inch cna carry 50% - 100% more volume?

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    use 3/4 inch if you can! other than that is is 1/2 inch. But I believe 3/4 inch cna carry 50% - 100% more volume?
    It will indeed carry more than double the volume and is useful for pressure issues but it's highly unlikely that the council would allow a 3/4 inch domestic connection.

Idbatterim wrote: »

Council will not allow you use 3/4" otherwise we would all be using 1"

You have to follow regulations.

Regulations state 1/2" Imperial

You're "lagging" behind there Joey - you were typing while I was posting :D

muffler wrote: »
    You're "lagging" behind there Joey - you were typing while I was posting :D

Old age muffler and the fact that i bow to your superior intellect. ;)

I might even beat you at the "age" contest also :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 m3.

cheers for all the replys.......

ye all have answered my questions and more

thank ye all

Advertisement