Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community work for Gaisce awards

Options
  • 06-01-2010 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Im kinda stuck at the moment as to what I can do for the Gaisce award under the community involvement. Im interested in computers and that sort of thing. I dont know of anything I could do in my area (Leitrim) - my friends in ty are already visiting the elderly and I would like to do something a bit different. Could refurbishing computers for the nursing home closeby be an option for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

The best thing to do is to talk to your PAL or email HQ. If you are into computers what about designing a website for a community organisation? I remember many moons ago someone desgining the a website for Gaisce. If you think this is something you would like to do and your PAL gives you a the green light, PM me and I can recommend a good book to get you started.

Look at local organisations in your town, such as Tidy Towns as well. All the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

The easy route out is just to to litter picking . . . . not very interesting though.

My brother got involved with Young social innovaters, but I think thats over for this year . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

The actual Y.S.I competision is still on because my school are in it, after that I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sash

hi i did gaisce i leitrim too. i worked in the st vincent de paul shop for the community part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Homework clubs are classed as Community work for Gaisce awards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mags cherrywood

When i did this i just went to visit them in the nursing homes twice a week for and hour. went and chatted to them for a while and that done the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Does your school do log on learn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mags cherrywood

no not sure what that is now at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

quite a few people in my school do an hour a week in the oxfam shop . . .

Advertisement