Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoe deeply do you have to know reading lists for mature entry?

Options
  • 06-01-2010 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭

Hi guys and girls,

First of all, thanks Larianne for that brilliant thread with tips for app as a mature student.
    Secondly, I hope this warrants a new thread.Maybe I should have put it in the tips thread?
    If so mods feel free to move.

I'm just wondering, how well are mature applicants expected to know reading lists of the courses they are trying to get into?
    I am applying to a humanities based course with a very large reading list for each different subject, which would be very difficult to cover.
    I am trying to familiarise myself with the titles and authors, perhaps skimming through reviews if I can find them on the web, but that's as far as I'll be able to go I think.

Is this enough or should I be looking at more?

All info greatfully taken on board, thank you for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 doly

I'm not sure I understand your problem properly but are you suggesting that you do the course reading before the course starts? That is absolutely not expected and, in general, the reading list has essential reading, recommended reading and background reading. No-one is expected to cover all books and sometimes it is only a chapter or two from a book that is required. Some people, though not generally the mature students, get by on one essential book. Does this help?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You will not be expected to know the reading lists of your chosen course.

What you will be expected to know is what subjects are covered on your course, what type of work load the course entails, and where the degree will take you, what type of career you will enter after you finish. Just know all that, inside out and you'll be grand in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Thanks guys.

I was just having a look at reading lists of the course I am interested in, and in general these books would be something I'd be fairly interested in anyway.

I wasn't going to try to read books on the lists, just be able to show that I have taken enough of an interest to know what's on the reading list really.

Sorry was just asking for the sake of reassurance.

Thanks again, much appreciated :)

Advertisement