Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 20MB Broadband?

Options
  • 05-01-2010 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

I've just changed to UPC Broadband 20MB service from an Eircom 1MB DSL connection. I find absolutely no difference between the two services other than a big hole in my pocket. I've been running www.speedtest.net regularly and keep getting results that are everywhere from 1MB - 10MB, averaging about 6MB. I've tried 4 different laptops and 1 desktop, both wireless and wired. UPC tell me there is no issue with the cable, so why am I not getting 20MB? Can anybody explain why this is happening and how to deal with UPC.

Thanks in advance.:(
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Speedtests can be un-reliable. Try and download something from heanet.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

I can't complain about my 10MB UPC. My average is given as 13.6MB. I don't know about the accuracy of speed tests but my feeling is that it's not far off the maximum capability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 vjoc

Just downloaded from heanet.ie and got a speed of 570kb.

Please excuse my ignorance, but is this good or bad for 20MB?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

20Mb works our at roughly 2.2MB so not really. You're getting around 5Mbps out of your connection so around a quarter of what you are paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭hootini

I've had appalling speeds on the 20mb package for about 2 - 3 months now. Only staying with UPC because speeds are still higher than all the rest. I suspect traffic and downloads are being severely throttled. I was always acieving approx 2.0 Mb down up until a few monts back ..... now its about 500-700k MAX.

• Advertisement
Advertisement