Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Online Poker

Options
  • 05-01-2010 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

Is there such a thing as a free website where I can log on and play poker against fellow human poker novices for mock money??

I've been watching a lot of Hold 'em on SKY TV recently & I'd like to try it out without losin my b*****ks...

I've never played poker but I'd like to try it for fun so that I can learn to play before investing any cash.

I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to a recommended poker link. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I'm looking for the exact same thing but I'm looking for one that is online and does not have to be downloaded.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Almost any poker client will let you play for playmoney (i.e. not real money).

Some examples of poker software that will let you do this is:

Pokerstars
    Full Tilt
    Paddy Power Poker
    Green Joker Poker
    Boyle Poker
    Ladbrokes Poker

Play money though is in no way representative of proper poker play, although it will allow you to familiarise yourself with the poker software.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭J_Mac

Hi guys. In 99% of online poker sites , u have the option of playing for play money/mock money. So have a look at a few & see which site you like :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Trampas

as what 5starpool says.

I think party poker have a browser version.

i have never used the browser version so no idea what it is like

I'll echo what 5starpool says in that pretty much all poker rooms have "play money", but its no more realistic than playing with matches.

Far better off depositing €50 or less, and playing the micro stakes, 1c/2c blinds. You will get far more entertainment out of it, and it would take you hours to bust €50 even if you didn't really have a clue.

Same price as 2 trips to the cinema..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Most online poker rooms offer free money (or 'play money') tables for novices and experienced players alike to play without risking any of their cash - I work for Paddy Power Poker and we have a load of different play money tables available: http://www.paddypowerpoker.com/

We also offer a no-download option, so you should be sorted Doyler.

You won't even have to deposit if you want to the chance to win real cash either - set up a 'real money' account and you'll be able to play our freeroll tournaments (free-to-play) with real cash prizes on offer: http://www.paddypowerpoker.com/index.php/tournaments/daily-freeroll

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Play some freerolls (free entry tournaments) instead of depositing perhaps. Some of these have real cash prizes, although usually very low, but it might be a way to get some real money in your account (even if only $10) so that you can try some of the micro stakes games.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 canis lupos

I wonder though if you are a winning play money player will ipoker want to restrict your play money limits as it may be bad for the network :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

I wonder though if you are a winning play money player will ipoker want to restrict your play money limits as it may be bad for the network :rolleyes:

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Tony3004

play money on any site is a good way to familiarize yourself with the actual rules of poker and all involved whether it be the button, big and small blind . who goes next ? etc. but would recommend free tournaments to learn basic strategy

• Advertisement

Sorry for bringing this back to life.

But Everest poker are now holding sit n go freerolls for pennies. I would guess that the standard in these, though still poor, would far surpass that of normal play money poker players. Who knows, if you grind out hundreds of these, it could well be your first step to playing poker with the big guys*

http://www.everestpoker.com/en/promotions/online/shasta

*(P[event occuring] < .0001)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

ionapaul wrote: »
    Most online poker rooms offer free money (or 'play money') tables for novices and experienced players alike to play without risking any of their cash - I work for Paddy Power Poker and we have a load of different play money tables available: http://www.paddypowerpoker.com/

We also offer a no-download option, so you should be sorted Doyler.

You won't even have to deposit if you want to the chance to win real cash either - set up a 'real money' account and you'll be able to play our freeroll tournaments (free-to-play) with real cash prizes on offer: http://www.paddypowerpoker.com/index.php/tournaments/daily-freeroll

ionapaul, i use the no download option occasionally. just wanted to say in passing that it seems a lot harder to find this option since the site redesign. it used to be a can't-miss-it link on the homepage, now you have to click around for a bit to find it. seems a strange step unless you are trying to discourage traffic to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Yeah, the website redesign has make the option a little more tricky to access for some reason; to be honest this is a failing and we'll be addressing this in the next phase of our website redesign, so expect it to be easier to launch the instant play client within a few weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭6r4mad

Is there such a thing as a free website where I can log on and play poker against fellow human poker novices for mock money??

I've been watching a lot of Hold 'em on SKY TV recently & I'd like to try it out without losin my b*****ks...

I've never played poker but I'd like to try it for fun so that I can learn to play before investing any cash.

I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to a recommended poker link. Thanks.

here ya go young fella good little site i used it at the start also
    http://www.gpokr.com/#dinky

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

If you sign up at fulltiltpoker.net does it effect your ability to get rakeback in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

IMO better if you deposit 10€ and play like .10c sng or something like that....at least you play for something ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

KevinK wrote: »
    If you sign up at fulltiltpoker.net does it effect your ability to get rakeback in the future?
    Yes.

However, I had a play money account there and opened one when I was depositing for real money and they froze the accounts initially, when I explained what the deal was they checked that I hadn't deposited before and closed the playmoney account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PokerFred

I would say for beginners rather than playing for play money I would search out freerolls instead. These are totally free to play in and offer cash prizes anywhere from $5. to $1,000. per tourney. If you register at 3 or 4 sites with a free account like this you should have enough freerolls to keep you busy any time you want to play during the day. At the same time as you are learning you might be able to build yourself up a small free bankroll to try out the low end real money games.

PokerFred wrote: »
    I would say for beginners rather than playing for play money I would search out freerolls instead. These are totally free to play in and offer cash prizes anywhere from $5. to $1,000. per tourney. If you register at 3 or 4 sites with a free account like this you should have enough freerolls to keep you busy any time you want to play during the day. At the same time as you are learning you might be able to build yourself up a small free bankroll to try out the low end real money games.
    Joining a few sites is a bad idea, as it may affect future bonus/RB deals. Just find one site, play play money to get the mechanisms down, then play some 1 cent 2 cent for kicks. If/when you want to avail of rakeback/bonus then you'll be able to have your options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I like what you's are saying. What sites do 1/2 cent blinds do you know?

• Advertisement

Doyler92 wrote: »
    I like what you's are saying. What sites do 1/2 cent blinds do you know?

as a serious 1c/2c player I can safely say.

ALL sites

Find the most obscure ipoker skin and deposit $50 to play 1c/2c there with $2 buyins or whatever. Cash out any winnings regularly and when you're decent you can start whoring bonuses off the decent skins, while the ****ty skins close.

Pulling your winnings off the bad ones is important though.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Tony_Montana

hahaha love it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 adrianj

5starpool wrote: »
    Almost any poker client will let you play for playmoney (i.e. not real money).

Some examples of poker software that will let you do this is:

Pokerstars
    Full Tilt
    Paddy Power Poker
    Green Joker Poker
    Boyle Poker
    Ladbrokes Poker

Play money though is in no way representative of proper poker play, although it will allow you to familiarise yourself with the poker software.

Thank you very much for posting the websites. I will check them out and then will choose one.

I also like to play with mock money because I really do not want to lose my money. Although I am an absolute newbie I really enjoy playing poker. Maybe some time - when I am a reasonable poker player - I will play with real money but this is very far in the future. :P

Advertisement