Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 weeks and very little weight gain - normal?

Options
  • 05-01-2010 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Would love to hear opinions from those with experience. Only found out about pregnancy at 18 wks and am feeling great and had no morning sickness, tiredness etc and while I know I should be feeling lucky I'm now worried that I'm not gaining enough weight. I'm reading on other forums about women about the same due date as me that have gained at least a stone or two so am worried that I've only gained a few pounds at the most?
    Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd count yourself lucky! I didn't gain much in my last pregnancy only a couple of pounds. If you're worried speak to your doctor/midwife at next appointment. If they were worried they would say something when weighing you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mindydawne

Would love to hear opinions from those with experience. Only found out about pregnancy at 18 wks and am feeling great and had no morning sickness, tiredness etc and while I know I should be feeling lucky I'm now worried that I'm not gaining enough weight. I'm reading on other forums about women about the same due date as me that have gained at least a stone or two so am worried that I've only gained a few pounds at the most?
    Would be grateful for any advice. Thanks!

The majority of weight I gained came late in the third trimester, mainly in the last two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I'd count yourself lucky. Some women don't put on much. I haven't put on much at all. I started my pregnancy just under 8 stone and before christmas i was just about 9 stone. I got sick though, and lost weight...went down to 8 1/2. No problem at all though...baby is thriving. Ask your doctor if you are worried...they will let you know if they think there's a problem! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I weighed less at 38 weeks than I had a week before I got a bfp.

Every woman is different and the amount of weight you gain or lose doesn't necessarily indicate a healthy or a sick baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 aladdin2010

That's great to know thanks so much - sets my mind at ease considereably. Of course I don't want to pile the pounds on either, but my appetite is about the same as normal and I'm trying to eat more nutrititious stuff rather than junk so I figured I was doing OK. It's only when you start comparing with others that you get worried!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Funny you say that about weight gain - I'm just ten weeks and have lost 5lb. I know for a fact it's down to the fact that I've cut out the wine and nibbles at the weekend, and am eating healthy! Doc said it's perfectly normal,
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

my little one was 8lbs 4oz when she was born and i had a load of water, i only put on a stone and a half in my whole pregnancy and that was literally rom like 35 weeks to 41 weeks and 10 days :P, before that i could still wear my size 10 dresses and combats etc so dont worry and congratulations. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ebmma

Haven't started gaining weight until week 27-ish. Haven't gained loads, but have a decent sized bump at 32 weeks now.
    Your GP would mention it to you if something seemed wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I never gained any weight with my first pregnancy ( she was 6lbs 4 ) and on my last pregnancy I only gained half a stone. In both I had a small bump and was wearing my normal jeans quite comfortably up until delivery. In fact right up until the birth very few people even knew I was expecting at all.

The doctors always commented on how small the baby was - the first time around they put it down to my age - but he was 6lbs 11 and now seven weeks on is doing great

Some women just have small bumps. Its not really anything to worry about. If there was a problem the scans would pick it up.

Advertisement