Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a set of Monitors

Options
  • 05-01-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Lads Im toying with the idea of getting rid of my KRK Rokit powered 6's
    and the KRK subwoofer and downsizing to a normal set of monitors.

The reason Im doing this is Im not really getting the whole effect of the bassbin and Im of the impression the KRKs are better used when producing not mixing.

Im looking to maybe sell these and purchase a good quality set of monitors for my bedroom without the need for a bassbin.

I suppose my budget is from 250-400

Any Recommendations?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

Is there really any reason to be spending €400 on a pair of monitors for your bedroom?

My previous mixing was done through an ancient Sony seperates system which sounded great right up until it had to be retired when we moved into a tiny apartment. When I got a midi controller I started trawling the small ads looking for something similar or better in the sub €100 bracket but couldn't find anything. I ended up going for a pair of active monitors from Thomann while I traded up on the controller and I was gobsmacked!

I had ordered M-Audio AV40 (iirc) monitors but they couldn't get stock so I opted for the 30s thinking I wouldn't miss the 10 watts. How right I was. In the daytime with the house empty I don't think I've had them past 25-30% and at that they were pretty much filling the house with sound. I was wary before they arrived of the "flat" response of monitors as opposed to the "U shaped" sound of most hifis but these fit the bill perfectly. I really can't believe the sound out of something so small. These are the size of maybe four VHS tapes each. My old speakers would have been closer in size to a pair of shetland ponies!

I was a label whore in a past life and if I'd had the money I'd probably have had a pair of Rockits but I think the M-Audio AV-30s were about €80. Nowadays I'd find it hard to justify your minimum budget, nevermind blowing €400 for a bedroom setup.

Unless of course you have a 200 capacity bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

milltown wrote: »
    Is there really any reason to be spending €400 on a pair of monitors for your bedroom?

My previous mixing was done through an ancient Sony seperates system which sounded great right up until it had to be retired when we moved into a tiny apartment. When I got a midi controller I started trawling the small ads looking for something similar or better in the sub €100 bracket but couldn't find anything. I ended up going for a pair of active monitors from Thomann while I traded up on the controller and I was gobsmacked!

I had ordered M-Audio AV40 (iirc) monitors but they couldn't get stock so I opted for the 30s thinking I wouldn't miss the 10 watts. How right I was. In the daytime with the house empty I don't think I've had them past 25-30% and at that they were pretty much filling the house with sound. I was wary before they arrived of the "flat" response of monitors as opposed to the "U shaped" sound of most hifis but these fit the bill perfectly. I really can't believe the sound out of something so small. These are the size of maybe four VHS tapes each. My old speakers would have been closer in size to a pair of shetland ponies!

I was a label whore in a past life and if I'd had the money I'd probably have had a pair of Rockits but I think the M-Audio AV-30s were about €80. Nowadays I'd find it hard to justify your minimum budget, nevermind blowing €400 for a bedroom setup.

Unless of course you have a 200 capacity bedroom.

Cheers for your response man.

I suppose I was thinking of getting a pair that could be used at parties aswell if the need arose.

I suppose your right though, I shall take your sound advice on board!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

yeah to be honest, getting speakers for djing and monitors for producing are two totally separate tasks, and best kept separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

http://www.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_hs50m.htm

literally one of the best purchases i have ever made

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

jtsuited wrote: »
    yeah to be honest, getting speakers for djing and monitors for producing are two totally separate tasks, and best kept separate.

Agreed. If you are going to use the same monitors for parties firstly, they are going to get damaged. And they WILL! Secondly, monitors are designed to give a flat but clear sound. If you use them for parties I guarantee you'll boost the bass/mid etc while djing. Then when you try to mix you own tracks they'll always sound as though they are lacking something. Party (hi-fi) speakers can be picked up for buttons. Budget for both.

• Advertisement

SteveDon wrote: »
    http://www.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_hs50m.htm

literally one of the best purchases i have ever made

Cheers for the suggestion Ste, do you use these for producing or for mixing?

Would I need a subwoofer if I bought these or is there enough bottom to the sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Ùse them for production, there is definitly enough of a bass response for my uses. But i would agree with previous posters, if you are going to use the speakers for mixing youd be better off getting something else. I have a 300 watt Kam PA system that i use for parties and the like, would never use my monitors, they would definitely get damaged.

http://www.getinthemix.co.uk/Intimidation-AKA112-&-Warrior-DA300-DJ-Speaker-Amp-Package.htm

check that out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Slightly off topic, but would someone have a look at these and see if there decent for the prices?
    http://electronics.shop.ebay.ie/Speakers-/69967/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_ipg=&_ssn=hifi-tower&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Slightly off topic, but would someone have a look at these and see if there decent for the prices?
    http://electronics.shop.ebay.ie/Speakers-/69967/i.html?_catref=1&_fln=1&_ipg=&_ssn=hifi-tower&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

If you're looking for budget gear I'd suggest becoming an adverts stalker. I got a very fair deal on a pair of 15" 350Ws. Seen some wear but for a first PA, not at all bad:)

So lads would the general consensus be that the best thing to do would be get a quality stereo/hi fi?

I dont produce so all Im reall looking for is a good sounding speaker that could double up as a party unit

• Advertisement

Again, not knowing what size parties you're thinking of it's hard to say but the amount of sound out of my little 30w M-audio monitors is unreal. When I was using decks I had a beefy (albeit home) Sony amp driving a pair of 2.5' tall quality speakers and I honestly drove them pretty much as hard for home practice as I do the AV30s.

I can see two sides here though. I'd be inclined to fork out €100 for a pair of active monitors for the house, and as a taster. And if the sound isn't too flat for your tastes choose an upgrade path from there. Surely there's one or two sound stores around that you could check some out. I can also see where you would want to buy just once and have them barely ticking over at home but ready to flex at a party.

Your call in the end though.

So lads would the general consensus be that the best thing to do would be get a quality stereo/hi fi?

I dont produce so all Im reall looking for is a good sounding speaker that could double up as a party unit

Unless you strike it lucky on Adverts.ie or buy and sell and land some top notch gear I don't see a hi fi as the way to go. Put it this way, if you go for a pair of active monitors then pretty much every euro of your money has gone into the sound out of the speakers. Buy a hifi and you're compromising for functionality you don't really need if all you want is to hear the output from your mixer. It's also easier to move two powered speakers than speakers and amp.

Advertisement