Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Chip?

Options
  • 05-01-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm traveling to the U.S. next Thursday for 3 weeks then flying into Mexico. With all the new security measures my friend who I'm traveling with rekons you need to have a computer chip in your passport like the newer passports all have. My passport is 8 years old and obv doesn't have a chip. Anyone think I'd be denied entry because my passport doesn't have this chip?? Tried the PP office but their phone service is a joke, couldn't get anyone. I had no trouble going in 2008.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

If I remember correctly, you just need at least 6 months left on your passport.. my UK passport has no chip and I was in the states last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

New passports issued by Visa Waiver Program countries after 25 October 2006 must be ePassports, which include an integrated computer chip capable of storing biographic information from the data page, as well as other biometric information, such as the required digital photograph of the holder. Ireland commenced issuing ePassports on 16 October, 2006.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=266

AFAIK (and from checking the Dept of Foreign Affairs website) you should be fine. As long as there's still six months validity on your passport and it's got the machine readable text stuff on it, you don't need the chip if it was issued before the above date.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

Thanks very much for that!

Advertisement