Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nappies

Options
  • 05-01-2010 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

hi,we are due are first baby soon and have started to shop around for everything we will be needing when she is born.some nappies very expensive and we want to know has anybody any experience using own brand nappies such as tesco or boots which are half the price of pampers.can anybody that has used these own brand nappies tell us if they are just as good as pampers or are we better of paying the extra money for the regonised brands.thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Have used Pampers, Boots nappies and Tesco nappies and haven't had any problems with any of them. Tesco nappies "feel" cheaper in terms of build quality but the baby doesn't seem to be in the slightest bit bothered by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Used Pampers for newborn but moved to LIdl own brand for size 2, they worked great and so much cheaper!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

for new born nappies we found boots own brand the best but everyone finds different ones the best:)
    We found Huggies the worst at that stage.
    Now we mostly use Sainsburys own brand ones,not because they are any cheaper anymore but because we find them the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

We have twins.... We bought Tesco nappies (not the ultra cheap ones - the ones a bit like Huggies) unless Tecso had on offer on Pampers or Huggies (which they do at present).. then we bought them.

Your baby is not a brand-snob!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Would you consider cloth nappies? They're not as much of a hassle as they used to be years ago when they were big towels with sharp pins, the new ones are much easier to usea and in the long run work out oodles cheaper :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Would you consider cloth nappies? They're not as much of a hassle as they used to be years ago when they were big towels with sharp pins, the new ones are much easier to usea and in the long run work out oodles cheaper :)

Where can they be got? I never seen them in mothercare or anywhere else we've been. Googling and typing just brought this site up

5th day home today and i think we're producing twice as much rubbish as we did last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Chet T16 wrote: »
    5th day home today and i think we're producing twice as much rubbish as we did last week!

haha.. that stops... after about 18 years! ;)

@ Chet T16 I've ordered 2 x different types;

Bamboo ones that are shaped like normal nappies;
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/6-Premium2-0-AIO-Bamboo-Pocket-Cloth-Diapers-6-inserts_W0QQitemZ180447405230QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2a0380e4ae

& the other ones I've ordered but haven't got yet are these knitted ones;
    http://www.spiritofnature.co.uk/acatalog/1086.html

I worked in childcare a few years ago and some of the parents used cloth nappies, I thought they were brill.
    The babies that they were used on rarely if ever had nappy rash/skin irritation.

Admittedly I wouldn't be the greenest person going, but we live in the country and there is no bin collection service, so the thoughts of having to traipse to the dump 20+ miles away once a week with a bootful of stink nappies made me look towards these!

The bamboo one's you have to wash & dry 3 times before you use them (bit like a new towel, to get the absorbancy into them) and I was nicely suprised at how fast they dried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Bin collection is grand for us and i'm certainly not mr. green but i do wash out the milk cartons and keep them seperate. No sure if i see a point now with all this toxic waste thats going out!

I think i'm drawn to the cuteness of those nappies more than anything...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

You know your youth is truly over when you're on internet forums asking for advice on nappy brands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

sesna wrote: »
    You know your youth is truly over when you're on internet forums asking for advice on nappy brands

LOL, too too true:D

Have been doing a bit of research into these myself. They really seem the way to go. Am fairly green, doing my bit of recycling. My bin only goes out every 6 wks-2 months and I don't want it to be every week when babs comes along.

These look good: http://www.babame.com/nappies.php

Do any of the supermarkets stock the reusable ones or are they all online?

sesna wrote: »

For me it was when I started enjoying hanging out in the garden section of woodies instead of clothes shops :rolleyes: made me feel so old :o

@Chet T16 - they're uber cute up close too!

I like the way the knitted ones come with a picture showing you how to put the nappy on, I'm going to print that out and put a few copies around the house just in case the other half pleads ignorance & uses it as an excuse not to change nappies :pac:

deemark wrote: »

Do any of the supermarkets stock the reusable ones or are they all online?

Just found a link for stockists on that website you linked that shows they stock them in Michael Guineys (BumGenius ones) as well as these ones; http://store.michaelguiney.com/store/product/177916/Single-Cloth-Nappy/

Might have a look in there next time I'm in town, no harm having a few spares :)

The one's they used in the nursery where I worked were closed off with little plastic attachments called 'Nappy Nippas' or something to that effect and they really stayed put once they were put on!

The one's with the velcro I'm not so keen on as they open too easy and the velcro gets bobbled after a few months.

The two types I chose as they're one size/birth to potty so should last a while :)

Advertisement