Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massage Therapy

Options
  • 05-01-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭

Many of you gents on here go for massage therapy often? Can't say I do myself but I'm thinking of making an appointment for a Thai massage later this week.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm training to be a massage therapist at the mo, more sports injuries and muscle tears and the like, but basic massage is part of it first, we practise on each other (also my missus used to do massage when she worked in a beauty salon,dead handy after a hard days work :) )getting massages is great, you feel so relaxed and rejuventated afterwards, and the next day you'll feel like a million quid, highly recommended, if you get a full body one and the therapist is good dont be surprised if you fall asleep, its well worth the money if you're stressed or just need to unwind for an hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

I get a sports massage on my lower legs from my physio every now and then.. she's great at working out the knots.. but that's not a relaxation massage, painwise it's more like child-birth is suspect (citation required):D

T

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

tommmy1979 wrote: »
    I get a sports massage on my lower legs from my physio every now and then.. she's great at working out the knots.. but that's not a relaxation massage, painwise it's more like child-birth is suspect (citation required):D

T

I can agree with this (well not the child birth thing) had to get physio on my achilles tendon years back after an ankle operation, consisted of me lying face down on a table and trying to not cry like a little girl when he was rubbing the tendon, made worse by the fact he was trying to engage in chit chat, "how was your weekend" "yeah was grand went OOOOWWWWWT for a few beeeeeheheheers...."

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

My ex was a massage therapist. Used to get them all the time. I'm considering seeing a professional because I miss them that bad (no perks this time though :( ) They're amazing.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Just like krudler, i'm training to be a sports therapist and yes we need to practice massage first (holistic/swedish) which is very relaxing. Thai massage is a deeper style of massage, gets in alot further like sports massage but uses very different techniques. I've not had one myself but have heard it is amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭A quiet one

tommmy1979 wrote: »

T

There's possible two interpretation on this; Either she's temporarily pressing on "knots", which simply hurts, or she is using a technique known as "compression"; This is where she presses down, for a duration of not less than 6 seconds on either the body of the muscle, or, most likely it's tendon area (which goes up farther then you might expect) , thus evoking the inverse-stretch-reflex , pertaining to the golgi tendon organs, if I remember from way back when I qualified as a sports MT (RSA accredited) (just for me OH these days). (I should really be double checking my notes, but they're in the atic and yes, too lazy to find it on line)
    That level of info was not covered in the Holistic MT (ITEC) courses I did.

Briefly it works like this.; You bump into something / get hit and your muscle sends a message to your brain to basically tense up. But hold that pressure in a sustained manner for over six seconds and you by-pass it with added benefits.
    It's the same thing for stretching exercises; Stretching for 6 to 10 seconds will maintain your current "reach" 15 to 20 seconds to increase it ( and then loose 60% of the gain within 24 hours, which is why if you then stretch to maintain your new reach, and not wait for , say, a month in between)

Alternatively, if you had an injury causing a build up of scar tissue, she could do "friction" This is a deliberate (some would say controversial) injury performed to break down that scar tissue , but not so as to create an injury equal to the original, unless the objective is to 'turn back the clock' in terms of post injury management.

As far as pain goes, "Compression" hold nothing on the pain from "Friction"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

It depends what you are looking for.

Last year I had several massages and the most memorable was at Bellinter outside Navan

I had the works facial, mud wrap and swedish massage

http://www.bellinterhouse.com/men-spa-treatment

My girlfriend came back to collect me after 2 and a half hours and I was lolling back in the relaxion room sipping green tea and contemplating my belly button.

Now thats the high end of the market and it was a gift but its seriously good and I now know why women and rock stars get a kick out of these treatments.

Try the massage and whatever goes with it.

Yeah, I can recommend the "high end" of the market for serious consideration.

This is because for guys, the sporty stuff gets around certain issues (in the broadest social context) through it's approach. But it's not 'intense' like the more holistic approach. In the high -end, those issue are vanquished through atmosphere.

LOL - I would never have done it myself. Cue jokes from the boys about happy endings.

So its not about the Playboy Mansion but you can imagine Bono kicking back after a concert getting the full treatment and saying "its only rock n roll" .

Its getting pampered but at a serious level.

CDfm wrote: »
    LOL - I would never have done it myself. Cue jokes from the boys about happy endings.

That is but one aspect.
    Most men not only prefer a female MT, but could never relax at the hands of a male one..even some gay guys will feel that way.
    The atmosphere at the type of place you went to emphasises relaxation and pampering, which leads to the navel gazing stupor. They are less likely to encounter the guy who is there for ulterior reasons. And there's a certain pressure on the MTs to behave professionally in the sense of being inclined to treat everyone equally, along with the usual codes of decency. That means not jumping to conclusions about why someone has turned up. It means the MT isn't being provided with facilities to pander to the playground of discrimination on the basis of looks, colour, accent, age, body shape or gender.
    And leave the quackery beliefs at home.
    Sadly, not all upper market staff comply.

Further down the market in terms of facilities and pampering services on offer, the meaning of professional is watered down to a reference to nudity (exposure) and sexual misconduct. It's open season on the playground politics.
    And so guys get around it by chattering about the mechanics of the experience, and provide background for their every knot in order to re-assure a suspicious MT, that he really is there for the right reasons

• Advertisement

Aidric wrote: »
    Many of you gents on here go for massage therapy often? Can't say I do myself but I'm thinking of making an appointment for a Thai massage later this week.

Can I assume that you know that Thai massage requires more input from the client than Swedish, or sometimes, even more than with sports massage requires?

Most men not only prefer a female MT, but could never relax at the hands of a male one..even some gay guys will feel that way.

:S That is very weird.

I was looking at a homedics shiatstu massage cushion recently. It is almost as good as Master of Nothing! :P

It is a pain in the hole that massage is so expensive in this country. :S

Moonbaby wrote: »
    :S That is very weird.
    I have female friends that use a male MT and one who gets a right pounding (according to her) and she told me not to be such a prude.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

When you say "right pounding"?........

I've had massages from men and women and the only common demonitator was the feeling of total relaxation afterwards. All of these were on holiday - I don't go to any here. The only Thai massage place I know of locally is known to give extras. I don't want to be present during a raid when I was genuinely only looking for a massage.

Goddamnit - I want one now....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

theres a thai massage place in Ranelagh (thai well or something like that) ..... actually ... think I might book one for tomorrow (i'm busy today ...unless they can fit me in for the next hour)

The only Thai massage place I know of locally is known to give extras. I don't want to be present during a raid when I was genuinely only looking for a massage.

Best avoid it. You turn up, pay at the door and go in. A "therapist" is assigned to you (or you pick) But what you don't know is that they have also paid the management a fee for every client they get....regardless. You then make it clear you're just there for the massage, and in turn they will make it absolutely firmly clear that the don't want "the likes of you" in there.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    It is a pain in the hole that massage is so expensive in this country. :S

Expensive is...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 dub02

I'd suggest a nuru massage...never had one but there suppose to be out of this world;)

When you say "right pounding"?........

she has a very senior & stressfull job and does not want a gentle massage
    I've had massages from men and women and the only common demonitator was the feeling of total relaxation afterwards. All of these were on holiday - I don't go to any here. The only Thai massage place I know of locally is known to give extras. I don't want to be present during a raid when I was genuinely only looking for a massage.

TBH - I think the stuff about extras is like pubtalk - nobody knows anyone its happened to.

Goddamnit - I want one now....

They are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I know a few people it has happened to, there are several 'massage' palours operating in the city centre. Best thing to do is a get a referal from someone you know. I pefer to go to melt and prefer male MT as they seem to listen more to me esp when I want/need a stronger harder touch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

TBH - I think the stuff about extras is like pubtalk - nobody knows anyone its happened to.

Well a guy was telling me that he regularly goes in and while there's an Irish manager you rarely see him. It's really run by two Thai women who do give an excellent massage, and offer extras to regular clients. I suppose he could have been lying but he really would have had no reason to. I also know a girl who works nearby who was giving out about the amound of dirty feckers she works with that go in a couple of times a week, and it's commonly known what they're up to. Plenty of reasons for me to avoid the place tbh...

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Best thing to do is a get a referal from someone you know.

I did that once and I needed a massage as a routine preventative medicine approach to deal with the excess muscle tension consequences of a bad car accident.
    He assured me all was legit and I'd have no problems and how they even give you a sort of shorts thing to wear.
    And so of I went; I guess he laughed himself dizzy that day. Plonker!

I did wonder though why, upon arrival for my timed appointment I was being asked if I wanted one or two "therapists"simultaneously. :rolleyes:

But the mix of people waiting in a sort of clinic's waiting room and the tour around the facilities (the gym, sauna, etc) quietened my doubts.
    The "therapist" was not impressed with my attitude. Nor was the management when I mentioned that been offered extras wasn't what I had been led to expect.:o

And there Ive been holding out for mint tea and not even a biscuit:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

The best thing to do is research the place you are planning on going to before you arrive there. There are plenty of good legitimate therapists out there who are having to compete with the likes of seedy 'massage parlours' and half-trained therapists offering 'extras' and bringing the whole practice into disrepute. I'm a qualified (ITEC) massage therapist myself and it's really annoying to have to put up with the 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink' mentality that many people have towards massage. I qualified ten years ago but even now, it's only beginning to be more widely accepted with the advent of health spas in hotels and gyms around the city. If you're looking for a proper massage, source your local therapist and stay away from 'massage parlours'.
    Just my few cents worth.;)

Jen ;->

Jenroche wrote: »
    The best thing to do is research the place you are planning on going to before you arrive there. ..... If you're looking for a proper massage, source your local therapist and stay away from 'massage parlours'.
    Just my few cents worth.;)Jen ;->

Checking out the physical address is a good suggestion. But not foolproof!
    If you're male;
    1 Getting a referral from a 'trusted' male source might no work out.:rolleyes:
    2 Asking a female is problematic because no matter how stable a friendship you have with each other, she may instinctively mistrust all men and so not want to be put on the spot of recommending a MT and risk introducing her MT to a guy who, entirely unbeknown to her, might turn out to be a perv. And most of the time her therapist doesn't do men anyway.
    3 And relying on an appropriately well written advert that uses health related jargon and boosts qualification are, from my personal experience, no guarantee of not finding yourself been told, "but my gentlemen customers find it gives them great relief"
    4 Assurances over the phone that they are not that sort of place are, again, in my personal experience, absolutely meaningless. Not even when dealing with a sole trader.

So perhaps you could lend these lads a few more pointers.

I know of one, but don't know it's Irish equivalent; basically I can go to a bookshop and buy a present that is like a mini yellow pages of let's say, health spas and the recipient can pick one, and get, say, a free session upon presenting the voucher contained within the package.
    These are really unlikely to turn out to be dodgy, but no guarantee of the wider emphasis on professionalism. And there's little worse then receiving a massage from a therapist who is evidentially displaying a deep seated discomfort with you, and you've neither said nor done anything to deserve it.

Is there an association of massage therapists that get accredited to.

I got brought to my first massage by my g/f who arranged it and I loved it.

So you have hotel spa's and local beauty clinics that will also cater for men -its just a case of asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Can I assume that you know that Thai massage requires more input from the client than Swedish, or sometimes, even more than with sports massage requires?
    I did a bit of research before booking. I don't mind having to make a bit of input if necessary, it will be a totally new experience for me. I'm booked in for a full body hot oil massage tomorrow afternoon, will report back on my experience.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Is there an association of massage therapists that get accredited to.
    Yes there is, the Irish Massage Therapists Association (IMTA). To be properly recognised in Ireland you need to register with them, they can help us with insurance, further training and alot of other stuff. If you see the IMTA symbol alongside their qualifications you know they are proper legit. Oh and for those that dont know, there are two ITEC companies that offer massage qualifications, the English one is the good one and recognised worldwide, and a company in Ireland offer it too but they are a joke.

Is this the one - they have a find a practitioner in the area link

http://www.massageireland.org/search-members

• Advertisement

Oh and for those that dont know, there are two ITEC companies that offer massage qualifications, the English one is the good one and recognised worldwide, and a company in Ireland offer it too but they are a joke.

Sorry, but I have to half correct you on that; I say half correct because I did my got my ITEC, in London, way back in '94 and I'm willing to assume certain things have changed.
    At the time, I met up with loads of people who were either doing the course (yet presented as qualified therapists at some places) or had completed it through one of the many other "schools".
    Realising how sub-standard some of those other schools were, and in a couple of cases they were suspect, (one was run by a couple, they only selected female students and got away with pretending that ITEC fully authorised and supported the philosophy that the students should be naked throughout and 'display' themselves to the male tutor as part of some sort of Holistic qualification.) (just in case you wonder what I might call "suspect") I felt really lucky that simply by chance I had stumbled into a course run by a decent school that, like the rest, had simply bought the franchise to do so.
    Yet, even with them, I noticed that there was absolutely no contact details for ITEC provided if you had any concerns. You got told what ITEC meant and that was the beginning and the end of ITEC's input by proxy, apart from the end of course external examiner, and the subsequent (in effect, purchased) Certificate.

By comparison to so many others, 'my course' had gone into depth on a scientific and technical level to mention but 2 differences in standard. Yet my qualification was worth exactly the same as someone who had no clue about towel technical, let alone anatomy, and was shockingly clueless.
    Added to that there was the bizarre experience of encountering someone who was thoroughly knowledgeable and competent, but had failed. One lady failed because she had smiled at something *funny during her 'practical' (* from someone outside who tapped on the window)
    By comparison, some of my fellow students did hardly any practise and could be seen to totally mess up their practical exam, and yet, passed it with flying colours. I mean, one had to ask the examiner what was next and how should she be doing it!:confused:
    I concluded from that, and other things I learnt, that ITEC were handing out "qualifications" by quota and I guess the 3 competent women I encountered who had failed had simply fallen fowl of that.
    And what I uncovered was that there was apparently nothing to stop any Tom, Feck, or Mary from getting the ITEC franchise and then presenting it with whatever cookoo quackery and odd ball philosophy of their own sown into it.

Perhaps times have changed. But I continue to see my own ITEC qualification as been not worth the paper it's written on. The course itself, as in the one I attended and not the franchise, and all gained from 'my course' is a separate matter.
    Edit.
    I know nothing about the Irish ITEC

Advertisement