Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Training

Options
  • 05-01-2010 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've signed up for a marathon and was checking the training plans on this site

http://www.runrepublic.ie/training/marathon.htm

I'm sure other training programs are similar but my question is.

Do you need to keep your long run day the same day as the race day?

For Example - In the programs in the link, Sunday is the long run day, same day as the Race day.

Like, is it the case that your familiarising your body with long runs on Sunday.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well DCM is a Monday, and I can safely say that I never did an LSR on a Monday in training for it! (mostly Saturday or Sunday, with one Thursday because I wanted to race that weekend)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Many schedules choose this out of practicality as weekend is when people typically have most free time to train due to work commitments etc.

My advice would be to be flexible with your schedule and listen to your body if your body not up to a session on a particular day move it a day forward or back but always have an easy day between sessions/long runs.

your easy days are as important as the hard ones as they give your body time to recover and adapt to the stresses of hard training which is the key

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

Thanks for the advice.

I'm gonna adjust the schedule days to suit me with work and not the race day.

Listening to your body seems to be common advice, I'll take this on board.

Gorgo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

gorgo wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm gonna adjust the schedule days to suit me with work and not the race day.

Listening to your body seems to be common advice, I'll take this on board.

Gorgo

Yep I wouldnt worry about the day but if possible try to do some of your long runs around the same time of day as your race, This will help you better in regards to fule etc and how your body deals with running earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

shels4ever wrote: »
    This will help you better in regards to fule etc and how your body deals with running earlier in the day.

Sorry do you mean "fuel" or "fule" ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement